Sunday, August 05, 2007

Le Disko Rolling Stone Afterparty




I mean, I think you knew I'd have to go with a big Chicago party tonight, in lieu of the music here of late. I mean, what a fucking weekend in the Windy City. I guess this Lollapalooza has gotten real focused, sticking to one city and letting everyone gather for one crazy weekend. Remind me to tell y'all one day about my Lollapalooza experience that involved throwing up on the train. Or actually, remind me to never tell you that one. Anyway, things end with a major bang at Debonair Social Club (1575 N. Milwaukee), as two of LA's finest - Steve Aoki and Blake Miller of Moving Units - come together as Weird Science to make all of your indie dance dreams come true. They're joined by the Dark Wave Disco crew - Trancid, Greg Corner and Mark Gertz - and Figo, who will rep the hometown scene. Oh shit, NYC is in the house too, as The Misshapes are a late DJ addition. They're joining Last Night's Party to turn this into an event. Not sure on price, but that's a lot of talent so I imagine it's worth the price. Keep doing it Chicago, I wanna see you jack tonight.

-Le Disko is holding LA down tonight, as usual on Sunday night. Tonight's edition is the official Rolling Stone magazine X-Games afterparty, which probably means lots of dudes doing deft-defying stunts and shit. Or just a lot of people dancing and having fun. As always, DJs Daniel, Paparazzi and Keith 2.0 will make dancing easy. You also get a live set by Trouble, which features a well-known snowboarder Trevor Andrew (theme!) and a guest DJ set by Dan-O of Dim Mak's Tuesday Cinespace jawn. You know the deal, Spider Club@Avalon (1735 Vine St.), free til 11 with flier, $5 after 11, gorgeous people acting like fools, good times.



-Same state, different city. San Francisco's got a new weekly, Propaganda at Laszlo (2536 Mission). Hosted by Meleksah, this one has Peter Noble and the one, the only Jefrodisiac on the decks. Did you survive the Frisco Disco? Then show how tough and crazy you are. Or if you are still drunk, keep the party going. It goes til 2 AM, it's free, it's a great end to the weekend.



-Finally, in my favorite city, a new night starts at Upstairs at Sal's (200 S. 12th St.), as Sara Sherr starts up Karaoke That Doesn't Suck. Okay, I'm gonna be honest, I hate karaoke. The first time I did it, I was in a room with Spank Rock and a member of !!!, the second time I did it I was in a tiny room with people who practice for future nights out. Why then am I recommending this? First., Ms. Sherr is one of the truly great people in Philly, who's been booking bands and writing and DJing and just doing the damn thing. Secondly, Sal's is a great spot, always love to get word out about what's going down there. Finally, it says in the title that this is karaoke that doesn't suck. Unlike the news, fliers don't lie! No cover, singing starts at 9, newly weekly.

2 comments:

Raised By Bees said...

I just saw this now. Thanks for repping my karaoke night.

Raised By Bees said...

Thanks for mentioning my karaoke night. I just saw this now.