Monday, August 14, 2006

Junior Boys - The Equalizer



Junior Boys, "The Equalizer"

Junior Boys, "The Equalizer (Morgan Geist Graphic mix)"


Oh my G-d, I missed you guys and girls so much. It's been awhile since I've taken a day or two off from the blog, as someone once told me that if you aren't grinding, you won't be shining. I needed to recharge the battery, get some sleep, check with hipster sources about what's cool, the usual.

Anyway, I wanted to drop the other side of the Junior Boys' "In The Morning" 12" single. This one is actually my favorite of the two, both original and remix-wise, although they both have a similar sound and development. I love the huge, fart-ish bass on the original, a sound that features prominently on both of their album tracks. I think what seperates this one a bit is that it gets a little more of a pulse going, a consistent drive that gets your head bobbing. The vocals are gorgeous, as I love Jeremy Greenspan's sound and the nice refrain about springtime.

The remix is where it's at, introducing a name that I should have been discussing all along, Morgan Geist. Geist is the man behind Metro Area with Darshan Jesrani, Environ label head, one of the people pushing the new sounds of electro, house and disco with DFA Records, Kitsune, etc. Geist puts together a club track, something I want to hear when I'm out. It's got balls, it's not afraid to have a big, heavy sound like Junior Boys. He uses a bubbling bassline to make that happen, overshadowing the original in my opinion. This should give a good idea of Geist's sound and influences, as we'll do a better job discussing him in the future.

-The free Monday Movie night at the Troc features one of Pound for Pound's all-time favorite films, the classic Pee Wee's Big Adventure. I cannot begin to tell you how formative this film was on my sense of humor and movie tastes, one of the funniest, most original joints to ever drop. With Movie Quizzo beforehand, this is shaping up to be quite a Monday night.

-I got back on the NYC apartment grind yesterday, baby steps really, seeing one place. As always, if you know of anything available in the near future get at me. I also made a stop at The Strand and picked up a copy of Albert Fried's out of print The Rise and Fall of the Jewish Gangster. Cheah! I also made a stop at Turntable Lab and picked up some goodies and a recommendation on a good cartridge and needle package. The DJ fantasy continues to progress, a last desperate effort to hold onto my youth. Best of all I got to hang out with my bol Ron Burgundy, as it had been too long. Good stuff, made up for my seat next to the bathroom on the Chinatown bus.

No comments: