Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Tes La Rok - Mental Break


Tes La Rok, "Mental Break" (YSI link)

Tes La Rok, "Roll Out"
(YSI link)

I can't think of a better title right now to describe my state of mind, having spent the past two hours going through my email. I've come to realize that lots of stuff has been going into my spam folder, including ones from people I want to hear from. So, if you feel like you've written and not heard back, feel free to re-send as I try to reply to every that isn't a mass one. I love all of you, forever.

Anyway, we're gonna keep the focus on the BASS, which also allows us to keep our focus on dubstep. Yeah! Tes La Rok has had a huge 2007, with at least 8 releases so far and a remix or two. Surprisingly (not really, but I still expect everyone to be British for some reason), he's from Finland, where he has been an integral part of the underground music scene, putting on raves and now a monthly dubstep party called Step Ahead.

"Mental Break" (Mode Recordings) is sick, do not play this while walking down a dark street late at night. Seriously, after a few listens on the headphones, I am now writing this on the floor of the tub, with all lights on, the bathroom door locked and a stuffed animal. Tes La Rok uses the same wobbly bass that Speaker Junk does, but he sloooooowwwwwws it down to where you think you might be able to hear each wobble. It gives way occasionally to a big blast of subbass that sounds like a ship's horns. Underneath this, you have drums that sound like a clock ticking (down?) with little creepy effects thrown in just in case you hadn't already pissed your pants. Amazing stuff, you're gonna wanna grab the 12" vinyl for the excellent B side, "Warehouse." I'll update this if I can find a place to cop this one still.

"Roll Out" (Contagious Recordings) shows how versatile Tes La Rok is and the genre can be, as this one has none of the creepy, paranoid, druggishness of "Mental Break." Rather, it's almost bouncy and catchy, with much warmer synths than I ever expected. The drums have a staggered sound, retaining that unsettling effect that dubstep effortlessly trades in. This one will appeal to fans of Skream, those who love that guy's ability to create hooks in a music not know for them. You can still grab a copy of this one at Boom Kat, a rare chance to get one of these on vinyl and get that full bass effect.

P.S. Just to make this an extra sweet listening session, Tesla's "Signs" came on the ole iTunes as I listened to these songs. Yeah! " Signs, signs, everywhere there's signs/Fuckin' up the scenery, breakin' my mind/Do this, don't do that, can't you read the sign." Have there ever been truer words spoken?

No comments: