Monday, October 08, 2007

Chromeo - Tenderoni Remixes

http://www.austinchronicle.com/binary/cd39/music_roundup-38027.jpeg

Chromeo, "Tenderoni (Sinden remix)" (YSI link)

Chromeo, "Tenderoni (MSTRKRFT remix)" (YSI link)

Okay, while you're digesting that massive slab of dark dubstep, I'm gonna upload a funky, fun track for y'all. Chromeo pretty much specializes in that kind of music, the 80s influenced, synth+vocodored baby-making funk that they've done over two albums now. "Tenderoni" is one of the best things I've heard from them, the first song on and second single from their recent album for Vice, Fancy Footwork. It's a perfect slice of electro-fied funk complete with great vocals by Dave 1, that warm bass, amazing synths, great percussion (although it never really takes center stage) and effects. I've heard it on a few mixes recently and it always stand out and not just because a guy is singing "You're my tenderoni" repeatedly.

The remixes come from Back Yard Recordings and they've invited some of our favorites in to have a go at the original. MSTRKRFT deliver, not surprisingly, the rocking-est version, putting their trademark crunchy, distorted bass to work on top of much heavier drums than the original. My favorite part comes around the two minute mark, when they let things calm down for a brief moment; the bass drops down in intensity and it adds so much to the song. Generally, it's nothing extraordinary, but I tend to like the MSTRKRFT sound and it will definitely work perfectly for DJs working more in a heavier vein. The Sinden mix is what you'd expect to, jackin' up the original with the chopped up vocals, stuttering beats and twisted bass. G-d, even when I know that bass is coming, it still melts my face. Recommended.

For me, nothing equals the original, so I highly recommend copping the album first. You can grab the 12" from Turntable Lab, but you are gonna want to track down the Etienne de Crecy remix most, the best of the bunch imo.

No comments: