Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Sweating, Banging and Lightning NYC, James Murphy NYC, Dark Wave Disco in LA and more

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

It's that time of year here in New York City, when CMJ rolls around and douchebag writers like me make this city even more intolerable. I've been feeling a little down lately, so I'm hoping that these next few nights can put that jump back in my step. I can't think of three things I like more than sweating, banging and lightning. Amazingly, there's a party tonight called that and it features like all of my favorites in one awesome bar. 'Sup Magazine is putting on a CMJ Kick-off Dance party and it features one of the best new groups around, The Black Ghosts, almost all of my favorite NYC DJs - Lauren Flax, Sweatshop Labor and The Bangers - plus Mr. Headphones. It all goes down at 200 Orchard, free, 21+, free Svedka Vodka from 10:30-11:30, then free Sparks from 12:30-1:30. Damn, this might the kick-off and end of your CMJ week! Pace yourself or go all out, just make sure to be there.

-I can't think of a person in music today who is more able to do that than Mr. James Murphy of LCD Soundsystem and DFA fame. I mean, what is there to say? He's made two of my all-time favorite records, many of my favorite remixes, blah blah blah. However, I'm not sure how many people have gotten to hear or check out his DJ skill, which are profound. His sets dig deep into the dance music catalogue, from disco to house to early techno to no wave-y stuff, amazingly devoid of the current stuff that seems to follow one around. I really can't recommend checking this one out more, and that's without mentioning that BBC Radio 1 DJ Annie Mac is also going to be spinning, this should be an incredibly electic and dance-y night at Hiro Ballroom (363 W. 16th St.@9th Ave), just what the doctor ordered. RSVP at the going.com site, which gets you in free before midnight, $5 after midnight. There's also a Bass Ale open bar from 10:30-11:30, making this a good night to get your ass in gear early. Cheeky Bastard has done it again, I'm feeling better already.



-Downtown, the good folks of dubFrequency and iMeem are putting on a great two-floor party at 205 (Chrystie and Stanton). Check the flier, then RSVP immediately before they close the list, as it's invite only. Okay, now that that's taken care of, let's look at the festivities. Live performances by The Cool Kids, Hollywood Holt and Vyle of Trouble&Bass, DJ sets by Cosmo Baker of The Rub, Craze and Klever and JM. It's all free, there's gonna be giftbags, in other words, you're gonna be taken care of.



-Ugh, I'm worried about being totally NYC-centric this week, so call me out if I am. I'm super-psyched that one of my favorite Chicago entities, the Dark Wave Disco, is taking over LA for a few days to show them what's up. Tonight, they are at The Rooftop Bar at The Standard (550 S. Flower St.), battling the NYC Misshapes crew, with LA I guess as a neutral ground. Blake Miller of Moving Units is also spinning, should be a really great night and a chance to check out some of the best from outside of LA for no cost. You do need to RSVP at the going.com site to make sure you get in for free, so take a second and do that. Wow, dubFrequency flexes its bicoastal power, as they are presenting this one with Urb Magazine.



-Back in Chicago, who needs CMJ when you have Outdanced throwing massive parties like this one? They welcome the Franki Chan/Toxic Avenger tour to the city, along with JD Samson of Le Tigre and Spinderella of Salt'n'Pepa, free Bass Ale from 9-10, free before midnight, presented by Avant Trill, hosted by Vyle from Flosstradamus, lots of birthdays. It looks like Funky Buddha Lounge (728 W. Grand Ave) is the place to be tonight.

No comments: