Monday, October 29, 2007

Interpol & Arthur Baker - Obstacle 1

interpol 2

Photo by Jelle Wagenaar (2005)


Interpol, "Obstacle 1 (Arthur Baker's Return To NY mix)" (YSI link) 320

Interpol, "Obstacle 1 (Arthur Baker's Return To NY mix - edit)" (YSI link) 320

I love bringing it all together and this post, featuring electro legend Arthur Baker re-doing Interpol's "Obstacle 1" ties in our recent look at indie and electro. This one originally came out in 2003, when Interpol burst on the scene with their debut LP, Turn On The Bright Lights, and the post-punk sound made its return. It was very cool that the band chose and got Arthur Baker to do his own mix of this track, a nice nod to one of the legendary figures from that period that influenced the band. We've mentioned him many times here, a Mount Rushmore figure for us, from his pioneering electro tracks to his production work with bands like New Order to remixes of everyone from Joy Division to Le Tigre, dude is a stone cold legend.

Anyway, I can't say I was floored by the Return To NY mix the first few times I heard it. I think that you kind of expect this to be some crazy reinterpretation, like Interpol doing "Breaker's Revenge" or something. It's not, it's a really subtle edit that makes the original a litlte dancefloor friendlier with some effects, busier drums and extending a few parts (I assume, since it's a minute longer). It's one of my favorite Interpol tracks, so I guess it's nice that Baker didn't do too much.

We're gonna keep going down these two paths this week, I think, definitely gonna look at some more indie band remix stuff, possibly some classic electro tunes too. Yeah!

No comments: