Thursday, November 15, 2007

Bob Dylan & Mark Ronson - Most Likely You Go Your Way (And I'll Go Mine)

http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-images/Arts/Arts_/Pictures/2007/07/24/markronson460.jpg

Bob Dylan, "Most Likely You Go Your Way (And I'll Go Mine) [Mark Ronson Re-Version]" (YSI link) 320

Bob Dylan, "Most Likely You Go Your Way (And I'll Go Mine) [original version]" (YSI link)

Bob Dylan, "Most Likely You Go Your Way (And I'll Go Mine) [live Bonaroo 2004]" (YSI link)

Bob Dylan & The Band, "Most Likely You Go Your Way (And I'll Go Mine) [live 1974]"
(YSI link)

I know, I know, it's been too long since I did a Dylan post. Well, it's been a tough time recently and I kinda wanted to give Bob a break from having to carry me through those periods. Well, we're getting back to full-strength and so it's time to get back to exploring the music of Mr. Robert Zimmerman. There aren't many more perfect posts for this blog than a remix of one of Dylan's classic tunes by a heavyweight of the rap/r&b production world, combining lots of the disparate parts of this blog up in one nice little package.

As you can see and have surely heard, Mark Ronson did an album of covers called Versions, re-doing songs by the likes of The Smiths, Radiohead and Britney Spears with his trademark soul/hip-hop sound. Well, he clearly wanted to get another post on Pound for Pound, so he released a 10" vinyl that featured his re-version of Bob Dylan's "Most Likely You'll Go Your Way (And I'll Go Mine)" from the Blonde On Blonde LP. I'm always a little leery of these things, to be honest, feel like they tend to be gimmicky. But Ronson is too talented to really mess this one up, I feel like the dude could drop a sick hip-hop/r&b beat in his sleep. On this aptly titled re-version, he puts the original vocals over horns galore, a nice bouncy beat and slow, anchoring bass. It sounds great, could almost even imagine this getting spun early in the night at a club, the thought of Dylan in the club makes me very happy, FYI. All in all, this is nice remix, nothing world-changing, but Ronson has updated Dylan and brought him closer to his current favorites like Alicia Keys. If this appeals to you (and it will), grab a copy of the official album as it won't disappoint. The song also comes as a part of the new Dylan deluxe boxed set, which you can get from Sony for a special price.

Ahh, the original. How nice is it to have an excuse to put on Blonde On Blonde? Very nice. This song almost pales in comparison to masterpieces like "Visions of Johanna" and "Sad-Eyed Lady of the Lowlands," but one listen and you will understand why I love this one. It's all about the biting, seething lyrics that are sung over a relatively light and bouncy instrumental. I have this picture of that young Dylan singing this in his black sunglasses and a sneer and it makes me happy. I'll take this Dylan over the folkie any day of the week. I would normally tell you to buy this album, but I know that you already have it and listen to it once a week as our elders taught us. It will make your life better.

I've also included the live version he did with The Band on their 1974 tour, which is found on two essential purchases, the Biograph boxed set and the Before The Flood LP. The Biograph boxed set is crazy cheap right now; Amazon has it for $23, the Virgin megastore in Union Square has tons of copies at a similar discount. I cannot recommend this one more for anyone who likes Dylan's music and doesn't think that he stopped making music in 1965. Before The Blood doesn't get enough attention, a chance to hear Dylan with his best live band sounding loud and raucous, a pre-Rolling Thunder signpost. Grab it for cheap too.
Finally, let me just end this with a bit of the lyrics and dedicate this to RV:

You say you're sorry
For tellin' stories
That you know I believe are true.
You say ya got some
Other kinda lover
And yes, I believe you do.
You say my kisses are not like his,
But this time I'm not gonna tell you why that is.
I'm just gonna let you pass,
Yes, and I'll go last.
Then time will tell who fell
And who's been left behind,
When you go your way and I go mine.

Next up is the only current rock artist who makes me think of Dylan. Can you guess who?

No comments: