Monday, October 23, 2006

New Order - Age of Consent

http://www.moviemachine.nl/images/movies/marie_antoinette.jpg

New Order, "Age of Consent" (at 320 DJs, grab this and play it)

New Order, "Age of Consent (Howie B remix)"

New Order, "Age of Consent (Spectrum Arena, Warrington March.01.86)


Death In Vegas, "Age of Consent (live cover)"


Arcade Fire, "Age of Consent (live 10.30.05)"

I first saw the preview for Marie Antoinette many months ago from a friend's recommendation, who knew it would have me dying to see the final product. Why such confidence? Because the entire preview is set to the sounds of New Order's "Age of Consent," possibly my favorite song by one of my favorite groups of all-time. Check out the trailer and you will see how amazing it is and how psyched it gets you to see the movie.

I did so today and alas it doesn't come close to the 3 minutes of magic I saw all those months ago. Sophia Coppola's new one is tough to discuss, as it has left me struggling to explain why I didn't like it. I didn't hate it, as it is beautifully shot and it is an interesting take on a character who I knew next to nothing about. Versailles is sorta the star here, as I'm sure everyone has heard that this is the first film shot here in ages. Damn, it's unbelievable and almost overwhelms everything else. Beyond that, there's sort of an empty feeling, a question of why this was made. I mean, was this really a character that needed to be rescued from history's inaccuracies? What made Lost In Translation so amazing was that these characters seemed so real and complicated; while Coppola may be trying to accomplish that here, she doesn't succeed in my opinion.

I hope that these songs can make up for a less-than-stellar movie review. The DJ quality original is essential for people spinning, as this song does not get played enough. Put that "Blue Monday" and "Bizarre Love Triangle" vinyl to rest.

-A special comment by Keith Olbermann on the death of habeas corpus - "we now face what our ancestors faced, at other times of exaggerated crisis and melodramatic fear-mongering: A government more dangerous to our liberty, than is the enemy it claims to protect us from."

-Spank Rock after-party at the Bamboo Lounge after the boys play the Tower Theater with Beck! Beck, motherfuckers!

-Philly's Brendan Bring'em spins at Sway in NYC for Roxy's Monday night jawn

-The new music focus will start tomorrow, I've been playing catch up today as blogger has failed me today.

4 comments:

GSB said...

Cheers to this post! I felt the same way when I saw the trailer a while back. Age of Consent is a top contender for my fave song of all time as well....

Thanks again for the great blog dude...

Jed said...

This is the best blog.

Anonymous said...

I understand your opinion on the movie, but I really loved it. I think that this might require another viewing. The movie is supposed to leave you with kind of an empty feeling- I think that's what she was going for. Great post- I love New Order!

Guuzbourg said...

Grant Lee Phillips did a great, acoustic version of Age of Consent as well. Want it?