Wednesday, December 26, 2007

The Decemberists - The Perfect Crime #2

The Decemberists

The Decemberists, "The Perfect Crime #2 (Diplo's Doing Time remix)" (YSI link)

The Decemberists, "The Perfect Crime #2 (Junior Boys remix)"
(YSI link)

I don't want to give my indie kids the bends and jump back into some dance shit, so let's stop at the midway point with some of our favorite producers remixing a big-name indie act. Sound good, my friends? It should, since you already know that we're looking at the new remixes by Diplo and Junior Boys of The Decembrists' "The Perfect Crime #2."

I have to be honest, I don't have much familiarity with the music of The Decemberists, other than a listen to their previous two albums. From what I've heard, the thought that they would invite Diplo, Junior Boys and A Touch Of Class to remix one of their songs seems unfathomable. But, I'm glad that they did, as this Diplo remix is one of the best things I've heard from the Mad Decent head on the remix front in awhile. It sounds like that tour with Switch has rubbed off, as this one has the sound and feel of the best stuff coming out of the Uk fidget house crowd. He's put a jackin' beat underneath, chopped up the vocals and, best of all, brings in a nasty, smeared bassline that will rip a whole in your mindspace. Always great to see Junior Boys, as everyone knows that I am a big fan of the Canadian duo. They don't do many remixes, but listening to this dubby one, I'd like to see them venture into this territory more. They've chosen to go in the opposite direction of Diplo, paring the original down and giving it plenty of space.

Buy a copy of The Decemberists' recent album, The Crane Wife, as they deserve to be rewarded for this cool release and for diving into the electronic end of the pool. If you live in the Northwest US, check them out at one of their upcoming gigs at the end of January. Yeah!

No comments: