Friday, September 21, 2007

Justin Timberlake - LoveStoned/I Think She Knows


Justin Timberlake, "LoveStoned/ I Think She Knows (Roc Mafia remix)" (YSI link)

Yom Kippur begins in a few hours, which means the final meal before the fast. One is supposed to choose a meal that one would want as a last meal, the last thing one wants to eat, since a person doesn't know if they have been inscribed in the Book of Life or not (our fate is sealed tonight). All of which is a long way to say that I won't be posting again until tomorrow night and that I think Justin Timberlake remixed by Justice is one of those last meal kinda of dealies, like pastrami on rye and a knish. Two of the best things in the world, together at once. While this may not be my favorite Justice remix, their "LoveStoned/ I Think She Knows" remix is probably their most accomplished. This is their biggest remix project yet, a huge star and all, lots of pressure and money; they don't back down and take the easy way out. Their chopped-up drums, synths and nasty bass are all there, but there's a funkiness to this one that I'm not sure they've hit before. Maybe it's the strings or the Timberlake vocals, but this one seems like great pop music to me.

All of these tracks come from the LoveStoned/ I Think She Knows 2 x 12" release from Jive, which was the third single to drop from the LP. It's a nice package, although I'm not really sure the remixes ever do anything that interesting. Tiesto is the other big name involved, much bigger outside of Pound for Pound and blogland. The trancemaster delivers a pretty straightforward remix, sounds ready for the huge clubs of the world with a big bass, whooshing sounds, massive synth breakdowns; I kinda feel like it's hard to listen to this one on my crappy iPod headphones, like it's meant to be heard at Crobar at 3AM.

My favorite of the lot is the Mysto & Pizzi remix, a NYC production team known for their hip-hop/r&b work (incl. a track on the new R. Kelly) Here they leave that behind and bang out a club stormer. Nasty bass, pounding drums, some trance-y synths, what's not to like? Love the emphasis on the freaky lyrics, gives it a little darker edge. Oooh boy, more listen, more likey. Finally, the Roc Mafia remix nicely takes things down a few notches, strip out the strings, give it a bouncier feel with a rubbery bass, some flute sounds and other effects.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow, that tiesto remix is pure awesomeness. looking forward to hearing that in the clubs.!!