Friday, September 07, 2007

Amy Winehouse - Tears Dry On Their Own



Amy Winehouse, "Tears Dry On Their Own (live at the Kalkscheune, Berlin, Germany)" (YSI link)

Amy Winehouse, "Tears Dry On Their Own (NYPC's Fucked mix)"
(YSI link)

Amy Winehouse, "Tears Dry On Their Own (Alix Alvarez Sole Channel mix)"
(YSI link)

Ahhh, my girl. There's no way we were doing a series of posts devoted to the amazing women making music today without a look at Amy Winehouse. I had a terrible run last night of running into kids I went to college with, including a close friend of the girl I dated there. I'm struggling desperately to not email someone, I'm trying to find a home for two abandoned kittens and I'm wondering if things are ever going to feel good and normal and settled. I was literally a running into my ex away from weeping on 7th Avenue. I can't think of a singer today who sings about these sorts of things, let alone with such honesty and talent.

Here's one of the best songs, "Tears Dry On Their Own," off the breathrough album, Back To Black. I'm not gonna lie, the title alone had me in love. So good, love the defiance in those 5 words. The song is excellent as well, I've thrown up a live version from a reissued edition that's been floating around. The real treat here is the NYPC's Fucked Mix, with the NYPC standing for New Young Pony Club, the Modular Records group. It doesn't overreach and try to turn this one rave-ready or anything; instead, it tones down the vintage soul and adds a more funked up, dancefloor-friendly vibe. They keep more vocals than I expected, put them on top of a really nice electro-house mix. The Alix Alvarez Sole Channel Mix is for the house fans, no doubt. This one turns the synths to 11, so warm and nice; the upbeat house beat doesn't hurt and while it takes away from the sadness of the original, who cares? Both are recommended, taking Winehouse out of the 60s and 70s and putting her in the 80s and 90s dancefloor world. Grab the 12" with the Alvarez mix and more and the 7" with the NYPC mix from Turntable Lab. If you don't have the LP, make sure to get a copy ASAP especially for the under $10 price.

Finally, I do hope that Ms. Winehouse can overcome her recent hardships and find solid ground. She's a talented artist and too often we naively respect watching those people self-destruct. Thank you for your music Amy, thank you for not changing your last name.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I must admit to not be a fan of this young lady but she is a talent! I am a house music fan though and Ruben Toro plays this song religiously every Saturday night/Sunday night on his show on 98.7 here in NYC and this remix is hot ta bloodclot!