Wednesday, November 15, 2006

New Dirty South Bangers



Young Jeezy, "I Luv It" (sendspace link)

Young Buck feat. T.I., Young Jeezy and Pimp C, "4 Kings"
(sendspace link)

My hip-hop game has slipped enormously this year, as I just haven't had the time or money to put into the genre, coupled with disappointment at the hyped releases like Ghostface's and even Cam's. Leave it to the South to get my hopes back up and my attention on my favorite genre again.

Young Jeezy's first album, Let's Do It: Thug Motivation 1o1, was one of my favorites last year and his mixtape work with DJ Drama was even better. This appears to be the first single from the next album, I Am The Street Dream, which is supposed to drop at the end of the 2006, so therefore expect early 2009. "I Luv It" is classic Jeezy, you aren't getting anything you wouldn't expect: talk of money and traps, the greatest flow and voice (imo), a banger-not-banger. I'm not a huge fan of this beat, would love it to be more minimal. Other than that, a good start, I'll take a look at the new Drama/Jeezy mixtape next week.

Young Buck gets hated on plenty, I'm not gonna argue with the reasons for that. However, he's always good for a few good songs and he's not afraid to be outshone by other talent. Here's a good example, as Buck invites some Southern legends to a posse cut - Pimp C, T.I. and Jeezy. This has that old-school Houston sound, big, live bass, sung refrain, slow as molasses, perfect for Pimp. I'm feeling it, although again it ain't gonna get the club going crazy. Ain't nothin' wrong with that, right?

-High Voltage finally jumps off tonight! Last Night's Party will be in the house, so fix up look sharp.



-Mike Z is a part of Driz Horse tonight at the Khyber

-I want to thank everyone who has written or called or commented and expressed their sympathy for the passing of Tucker last Friday. I can't begin to tell you how much it has meant to me to hear from old friends, new friends, readers, whether to hear stories about the little man or that I'm not weird for being so upset or just to let me know that people care. It's really helped, as I am trying to move on again and knowing that I am surrounded by so many thoughtful, caring, compassionate people leaves me confident that I'll be alright.

RIP Tucker

2 comments:

ian said...

You're one of the first hip hop bloggers I've read who's admitted that Fishscale wasn't really all that. Call me crazy but I liked Pretty Toney a LOT more as an album.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, but I think FishScale is far superior.

I listened to these Jeezy cuts a couple of times and thought they were, sh*t! Most people who listen to hip hop after a while get bored of the tired lyrics. The N word takes up two syllable; I guess it is easier to insert that word than think of two words to put a phrase together. While that’s alright for the first album...
Also, the beats are pretty boring too. I call it crack wrap!

The fact that you haven’t posted much hip hop brings me back to your site.

Oh, yeah, and I do like hip hop, but I thought the application of rap was telling a story, you know like “The Message.”