Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Dylan Sunday - Theme Time Radio #22-23

http://www.tustrucos.com/wallpapers/Cantantes/musica-Clasicos-Rock/Rock-Roll-Bob-Dylan.jpg

Bob Dylan, Theme Time Radio Hour #22 (Telephone)


Bob Dylan, Theme Time Radio Hour, #23 (Water)

That's right, Dylan Sunday on Tuesday. It's Dadaist or something, get over yourself, it's been a tough week. I really have been listening to lots of Dylan lately, kinda wish that he would do an entire show devoted to his own music, talking about the songs and how they came about, what he considers his best. How great would it be to have Dylan take this format and apply it to his own music, bringing random anecdotes and the history and all that good stuff? It ain't happenin', and to be honest, deep down I don't really want Dylan to give his take on his songs. Part of his staying power and magic is that his songs are so elusive and hard to pin down.

I want to dedicate this post to MR, my friend who has helped me get through the past few days more than anyone else. I'm not sure what sort of wreck I would be if I had not hung out with her so much this weekend. The water theme of Episode 23 reminded me of a conversation we just had about the Philadelphia Global Water Iniative. I can't get into the specficis of it, since I am not smart enough nor are there many specifics to get into yet. But, it did help to refocus my mind on urban issues, the future of cities, getting my online mag started up. This project is a great example of collaborative work, international in scope and bringing cities together in the struggle to survive.

Right now, I'm trying to stay strong, take the punches, make it to the bell. After that, I can rest and come out strong for the next round. As always, if you are interested in these issues and want to write about them, please get in touch. More to come on this in the next few weeks.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks. Thats *such* a cool photo of Bob.

Anonymous said...

Hey- why not a Dylan Station - yes that's right an entire station. I sick of hearing the Grateful Dead after Theme Time , How about it! Dee NYC

Anonymous said...

aw, shucks :)

if i'd had a blog, i'd dedicate it to you this week too... it's great to have good friends in crappy times.