Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Simian Mobile Disco - It's The Beat



Simian Mobile Disco, "It's The Beat (Luke Vibert mix)"
(YSI link) 320

Simian Mobile Disco, "It's The Beat (Riton re-rub)"
(YSI link)

I guess you knew this was coming, after I had some sort of quasi-spirirtual moment at their show Saturday. Simian Mobile Disco released their debut album a few weeks ago and it's a corker. Here's the first single, "It's The Beat," which is getting the full 12" treatment. What's interesting is the choice, at least so far, of remixers. It's not exactly the names I was expecting to hear, the major indie dance players. It's not a bad thing, though, as I like that the guys went with some lesser known people and ones not necessarily coming from the same place. Before you do anything, make sure to cop the new album, Attack, Sustain, Decay, Release, although it seems to sadly still be an import here in the US. US people, go to iTunes to buy, I guess.

I really really like the Luke Vibert mix. I've never mentioned Vibert here before, mainly because he's tended to make his name on the more IDM and drum'n'bass side of things working with Warp and Rephlex as Plug and Wagon Christ. I do need to do some posts on his Amen Andrews stuff, remind me. Anyway, this remix is dope, probably the one best suited to the dancefloor. It's almost three songs in one, as the first few minutes stick to the original and vocals, putting a beat under it and un-distorting the vocals. The middle portion is a nice, house-influenced track with gorgeous synths. Then, around the four and a half minute mark, the bleeps from the original come back in and BOOM! It's a fucking rager to the end, be careful!

Another official remix comes from Riton, a name that has been popping up more and more lately. I'll have more to come on dude, so I'll save the background info. This one really does it for me, but I don't think it would be an easy one to play out. It's reminds me of the stuff coming out of Paris more, lots of chopped-up vocals, a stuttery rhythm that sounds so good to my ears. It's like the soundtrack to a really fucked up dance party and that's about the highest recommendation I can give. Go and cop the 12" as there's also the crazy, crazy 13 minute Masseymix that you'll want to have. Also, pre-order or get ready to cop the new SMD EP, which is coming out on Interscope!

Party info and flier return tonight!

No comments: