Thursday, July 06, 2006

Zongamin - "Bongo Song"

http://v3.radiofg.com/assets/images/zongagoodsmallsmall.jpg

Zongamin, "Bongo Song"


Zongamin, "Bongo Song (Mr. Flash Type C remix)"

Zongamin, "Bongo Song (Jackos Bongo Thong (ripped in 2 pieces) remix)"

This one might be the biggest single off of Ed Banger Records so far, an absolute perfect 12" from Zongamin and his remixers. Ironically, Zongamin is not French, but is a Japanese guy living in London. Yea globalization! The lead single, "Bongo Song," not surprisingly features a bongo that sounds so perfect you can't believe that every song doesn't have one. The bass again kills, this time coming with a rock'n' roll, metal kinda feel, furious and driving. I cannot get enough of this one, it makes me wanna go out and dance or vandalize my neighborhood with eggs (Murder 1, holler). It's got this start-stop feel that gets you so hyped up, that bass taking you up, then the bongos go it alone as the bass drops out and you can only say, "Yes please."

The two remixes are just as good, both going in completely different directions than the original. The Mr. Flash Type C remix turns this into a skittering, sampled filled affair, which slows down the original and gives you a slow-motion feel. The other remix has one of the best names ever, Jackos Bongo Thong (ripped in 2 pieces) remix. It also tones the original down, taking the massive bass out and adding some nice synth effects that sound very 80s to my ears. That's the first half, as the second comes in around the 3 minute mark sounding a lot like the original with bass back where it belongs. It sounds brittle throughout, lots of snares, nothing holding it up. It's good; probably not dancefloor made, but that's not a bad thing.

-I've focused on the French team, but I've got to show respect to the other finalist in this year's World Cup, Italy. It's impossible to not highlight the last few minutes of the second overtime in Tuesday's Italy-Germany game, featuring two of the best goals I've seen all tournament. The first one, especially, had me shaking my head, a simply perfect pass and shot (the shot is sick, just sick). Crooks and Liars, the great political video site, has the video of all this offense, which you have to talk a look at.

-Despite my deep-seated hatred for Germany, I've got to link to this video of Peter Brotzmann (with Sonny Sharrock), the legendary German free music saxophonists, that my bol Blackmail Is My Life has found. Ars Nova is bringing him to Philly on October 8th, cop tickets immediately. Anyway, dude is a fucking monster, usually labelled as a free jazz man, but I think that he's a little more punk than say, late Coltrane or Archie Shepp. Oh mang, I need to share some of this shit that I have, especially Machine Gun, the 1968 massacre that Brotzmann and co. dropped for FMP. It's gonna have to wait, though, as summer is for booty music and disco. It says that in the Bible or the Constitution, I forget which one.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey would you mind reupping these tracks?

Anonymous said...

yo man, nice blog.
would be cool if you'd put back those mp3.
thanks

Unknown said...

Yeah I'd really appreciate a re-up of these tracks, plus his mix of Zoo Time by Mystery Jets and Matinee by Franz Ferdinand if you have them?