Saturday, July 08, 2006

My Real Jams

http://musicweb.cz/data/1678/daniel-powter.jpg

The Fray, "Over My Head (Cable Car)"


Daniel Powter, "Bad Day"

Having a big-time music blog, like I do (shut up!), there is a certain hipster status that one cultivates. This involves making lots of posts about indie bands like Tapes 'n' Tapes and Sunset Rubdown, staying on top of, in not ahead, of the taste curve, rocking freestyle when people don't know what that is yet, and name-dropping the right influence bands like Wire, Suicide, Kraftwerk, you know the deal.

It gets wearing. Sometimes, you just wanna put on your knit cap, pour yourself a nice hot cocoa and listen to cheesy, emo-y pop music. I ain't afraid to admit it, I'm not afraid to admit that the two songs above are all I really wanna be listening to right now. All this other shit, the booty music, acid house, new disco, it seems inconsequential next to belting out, "Everyone knows I'm in over my head, in over my head", getting all emotional and shit.

-Two great events today in Philly, one day, one night. The semi-annual R5 Punk Rock Flea Market happens all day today, your chance to cop some vinyl or clothing or comic books or whatever other crap people want to get rid of. This has slowly become a great event these past few years, with more and more vendors and buyers. Proof comes in the new, larger venue, as this edition is at the Starlight Ballroom. Best of all, it helps R5 keep their ticket prices low, so get over there and spend money. Tonight, head to the M Lounge in Fishtown to catch Caps 'n' Jones killing the dancefloor at Fat Camp (a new weekly). The duo have been making more trips to our little Sixth Borough, great to see, hope they can make this a home away home.

-Idjut Boys spinning at P.S. 1's Warm Up 2006 in Long Island City or you can come with me to find an apartment.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There are more than enough bloggers out there trying to stay ahead of the curve. My hat is off to them, but I imagine that they always feel like they're in danger of falling behind. That's no way to live, or write. Much better, I think, to write honestly about what you love.

Anonymous said...

I call it "guilty pleasure" music. With an emphasis on "pleasure". I love that Fray song...