Thursday, July 20, 2006

Peaches - Impeach My Bush

http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2006/07/05/Peaches_060705050440235_wideweb__300x300.jpg

Peaches, "Boys Wanna Be Her"

Peaches, "Two Guys (For Every Girl)"


This is my look at Peaches' new album, Impeach My Bush. It shouldn't surprise anyone that this is one of the best albums I have heard in a minute, a definite Top 10 right now. Hell, I'd be surprised if this one wasn't still on the list when the year ends. I'm assuming that most people have heard Peaches' music and have a certain idea of what she's all about. She's definitely not the type of performer that has a lot of fence-sitters, people have strong opinions about her both good and bad. You know where I stand, so this isn't going to be the most reliable review.

I will say that Peaches continues to tweak her sound with each new album. Last time out on Fatherfucker, she went more indie, rocker chick, especially in comparison to the electro masterpiece that was her debut, The Teaches of Peaches. On this new one, she seems to have found a middle ground, balancing the electro and rock elements nicely. There aren't really any killer singles on this one, besides "Downtown," but the album as a whole is excellent. It really flows well and you end up listening to the whole thing each time.

I chose the songs above as a quick intro to Peaches for those who haven't heard her. For those who have, I assume you have either copped the CD or have no plans to ever do so. "Boys Wanna Be Her" is scheduled as the second single off the album, a straight rock song with sick guitar chords throughout. "Two Guys (For Her Girl)" is the raunchiest song of the set, a desire to watch two guys have sex for her. A buzzing bassline does it for me, more reminiscent of her earlier stuff. Love the appropriation of the Jan and Brian song, "Two Girls For Every Boy." She takes a classic song about a male fantasy and completely flips it on its head.

-Before I forget, Peaches began her national tour this week, starting in Denver, Colorado. She will be hitting NYC on Saturday night (Roseland) and the Illadelph on Sunday (TLA). Eagles of Death Metal are opening the NYC show, a sick bill if I do say so. I'm gonna do my best to hit both shows, but I can't make any promises. Holler at me and demand my presence.

-FiftyOne:FiftyOne has a crazy amount of music up today, from Diplo, CSS and Bonde do Role goodies to a handful of mixtapes from DJ Ayres and others. Head over there and get your summer listening take care of, as this should last you through August.

No comments: