Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Peaches - Downtown

http://www.beggars.com/us/peaches/promo-alt/promo03-peaches.jpg

Peaches, "Downtown"

Peaches, "Downtown (Simian Mobile Disco remix)"

I've been wanting to get to this single for a while now, finally found the perfect time. This is the lead single from Peaches new album, Impeach My Bush, out now on XL Recordings. I've always been a huge fan of Peaches and her music, which is one of the best examples of the sleazy, electro sound that has been coming back in recent years. I'll have a lot more to say about Peaches, as there's so much to say both about the music and the character "Peaches" that she has created.

"Downtown" is an interesting choice as a lead single in all honesty. This is not as lo-fi, as explicit or as electro as you have to come to expect from her music. It's really just a great song, great catchy, sung refrain. Obviously, the downtown concept has various interpretations, I'm sure some of you with filthy minds can come up with an X-rated one. I have total confidence that my wonderful readers immediately made this association. I personally see it as a paen to urban life, a tribute to Jane Jacobs, a manifesto for the generation of city kids who have fought to have people coming back to our downtowns. What you will notice is a softer sound backing her up, a more synth-y, even her rapped vocals seem a little more chill and inviting.

The remix is bonkers, a Simian Mobile Disco production that stretches the original track out to dancefloor length. They take Peaches and put her in the disco where she belongs, putting a prominent 4/4 beat behind her chopped up vocals. There's no rap, just refrain, really just one more instrument in the mix. The main instrument is the synth that runs the show (it is a synth, right?), it's amazing how these guys can create something totally new while still remaining true to the original. Trust me, you need this in your life.

-While I'm giving props to my girl Peaches, I gotta give myself some as well. Check out my preview for the previous Sunday Is The New Black, which was the top event for last week in the Philadelphia Weekly's A&E section. My bol Naeem was spinning, so I was really excited to spotlight a friend and take my writing to a next level. Also, peep my preview for the Sound Team show at the North Star. Editors, get at me now, this is real serious.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

legend

cant thank you enough for the simian remix of peaches.

cheers.

CRASH BERLIN said...

can u send me the simian mobile remix or giv eme a link...it would be much appreciated...
cheers

crashberlin@gmail.com