Thursday, July 13, 2006

Uffie - Pop That Glock



Uffie, "Pop That Glock"

Uffie, "Pop That Glock (SebastiAn remix)"

Yeah, yeah, you've all heard this, but so what. Listen to it again. Uffie was big news a few months back, dropping "Pop That Glock" on Ed Banger Records out of nowhere. It's one of those tunes that just sounds sooo right when you hear it, like you were waiting for someone to drop this without really knowing that you were waiting. It's a filthy-sounding electro track, produced by Feadz, a up and coming Parisian producer. While she clearly represents this new Paris electro/disco/hip hop scene, Uffie is not French; she's a 19 year old Miami girl, now living in Paris. I know that a lot of people will hate on this song, hate on her rap/spoken stuff. To each his own, but I personally love the sound of her voice, the cadence, the refrain, it all works.

Not a whole lot of info that I've found on her, but I'm totally in love with her. She's cute (holler at me about the calender!), she's talented and best of all she's a woman doing her thing. The next series of posts are going to be dedicated to the great, talented women who are making moves in the male-dominated music world, particularly the dirty electro/rap world that Pound for Pound loves. Who are we talking of? My girl Peaches, Avenue D, Shawnna, re-up that Kelis' song, maybe some Miss Kittin, holler at me if I'm missing something. I just want to get out of the phallocentric focus of this blog, and by extension, music writing and music making. There's a tendency to accept the boy's club feel of things, especially since it's beneficial to me as a guy. We're gonna make up for that now, and we'll make a more concerted effort to highlight women on a consistent basis. I'll need some of my great women readers to call me out if I don't hold to this, okay?

Oh, as I fill out my NOW membership form, make sure to check that remix, as it's just as good as the original, SebastiAn chops the whole thing up, fucks with the vocals, turns it into a glitchier, more abrasive track. Awesome.

-No better time to discuss one of my new favorite blogs, Rikool Joint Selecta (or is it Come On Play My Day?). n1kk1 left a few informative comments here, which lead me to his/her blog and the discovery of my Parisian doppelganger. Spank Rock, DJ Nephets, Uffie, none of this was planned out in advance by the two of us. Check out the site immediately, as it's one of the best sources I've come across for finding out what's popping off in Paris and Europe. Be warned, it's all in French. I've been using it as a way to practice my rudimentary French, but it's not hard to follow the links to the music at the very least.

-More details on one of the stranger stories of 2006, the stalking of Bob Uecker. The woman charged with stalking one of the worst baseball players of all-time pleaded not guilty to the felony charge, the case will go to trial. Before you doubt Mr. Uecker, take a look at the picture of the woman on Smoking Gun. Simply frightening.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

here are some new ones in charge



hot chick

Anonymous said...

hey, glad you liked our blog.
you sent a lot of people who I hope enjoyed it as well.