Monday, March 05, 2007

Dada Life -The Great Fashionista Swindle



Photo by Martin Adolfsson

Dada Life, "The Great Fashionista Swindle (original)")

Sorry for the slow posting of late, I wanted to clear this post with the band and now that that is all settled, will get back to the normal deluge. Yeah! Anyway, Dada Life are a duo out of Sweden, which seriously must be a country full of amazing electronic bands and hot chicks on bikini teams. They've been around for a minute, dropping a few 12" releases on various labels, including Breastfed and Southern Fried. I wish that I could say that they sound like the music that Duchamp would have made if he were still alive today, but that would be lame to say, so I won't. I actually really like the their own description of Dada Life on their website: "Destroy dance music and have fun. Don’t look back in the past. Always go forward. Don’t think too much. Always follow the money."

"The Great Fashionista Swindle" is their most recent tune and it's a monster. It dropped on Pickadoll a month or so ago and has already been picked up by DJs like Eric Prydz. It's not hard to hear why, with its huge peaks, massive fuzzy bass and trance-like synths. I'm not really sure what sort of genre this would fit into, maybe electro-house for big clubs. Download it now, as it's gonna be gone in 2 days. DJs, make sure to pick up a copy of the 12",, which features two excellent remixes from Laidback Luke and Serge Santiago. Check out their myspace page, request their friendship, find out all of the places you can buy their music. I would add Turntable Lab as a place to cop the The Great Fashionista Swindle vinyl. Most of all, thank them for letting me share this music with my readers. Support great music, hopefully much more to come on these guys.

-My roomie JK put me up to the cool news that Pound for Pound favorite and one of the most beautiful women in the world Chan Marshall (Cat Power) has been selected as the new face of Coco Chanel's jewelry line. Such a great choice and a great fit. Marshall has that classic beauty and it's always nice to see a dark-haired woman get some love. Brunettes, stand up!

-Fellas, here's a nice handy guide to dressing better. Pretty sound advice, although I've never heard anyone say that pleats are legit. Fit really is most important, as the whole baggy look just makes you look fatter and sloppier than you are.

-All of which leads me to my Operation Wardrobe Upgrade, my own personal mission to fix up look sharp. We've made great progress over the past 2 months, but there's still much more work to do. I'm open to any suggestions from my female readers or fashionable male ones. Where to shop, what to buy, good brands. If you'd like to help out, please get at me.

1 comment:

zandra said...

dont you love their 4th friend :)