Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Gnarls Barkley



Gnarls Barkley, "Crazy"


Gnarls Barkley, "Crazy (instrumental)"

Gnarls Barkley, "Go Go Gadget Gospel"


I know that this shit's been out for a minute, but I figured that it couldn't hurt to up what I have of Gnarls Barkley. It's the supergroup of Cee-lo and Dangermouse, a collaboration made in heaven. The results do not disappoint, this sort of r&b, soul, gospel, rap electronica hybrid that sounds a lot better than that horrible description would imply. It's nothing radical, it just sounds like good, infectious music. "Crazy" is the lead single, and the one that got this ball rolling. Mang, it sounds real nice to me, reminds me a lot of those songs from a few years ago from Fatboy Slim and Moby. Does this sound legit or blasphemous? Anyway, I'm curious to know if this is getting play out by DJs, if they have found a place for this in their sets.

I also need to add that everyone needs to get behind a band that references both one of the greatest Philadelphia 76ers of all time and the greatest morning cartoon of all-time (I said it, sorry Tom, Jerry, Woody and ). I mean, I had to support this, didn't I? P.S. Musicians, rappers, whoever, name something for Andrew Toney and you are guaranteed my full support no matter how shitty your music is.

Kwaya Na Nisser has more tracks from the upcoming album, St. Elsewhere, and warns us that this will be one of 2006's best. swoon gets religious about the music. Obscure Sound has a few more tracks for your listening pleasure. Stereogum has the first "Crazy" remix that I've seen, and all of the hilarious publicity shots that the band posed for.

-I had to mention the ridiculous references to hip hop in some of these posts about Gnarls Barkley. There is nothing funnier or more discouraging than reading indie blogs that seem pained or embarrassed to mention hip hop. It only backs up every negative impression I have about the closemindedness of the indie scene, its inability to cover good music no matter who is making it or what label it comes out on. I understand devoting your blog to the music you love. However, this condescending attitude does nothing but to insecurity.

-Speaking of Kwaya Na Kisser, so much good shit over there, I'm don't even know where to begin. How about with the live Neko Case set from NPR's All Songs Considered? Or her live set on CBC radio? Or the three part Sufjan Stevens outtakes and rarities post? What about the two part Belle & Sebastian post?

-Wonderful review of the Frederick Brown's new Gustave Flaubert biography in the New York Times Review of Books. Just a reminder, we have not forgotten about Pure Dork Week, as it is just on sabbatical. We will be back with a vengeance, or at least lots of nerdy talk about design, comic books, typography, urban theory, books, you name it.

2 comments:

Esquirrel, yo! said...

Thanks for the shout out my friend. I understand what you said about indie blogs and hip-hop. You are correct to some extent, I do believe indie bloggers need to be more sensitive to the truth in their depiction of hip-hop. I listen to a great deal, just not anything mainstream. My favs include Roots Manuva, Common, Mos Def, Beanie Sigel, Edan, Buck 65 etc. You have to remember though that its all about what moves you, and many just can't relate to the concept of hip-hop. You'll also find the same kind of sentiment among hip-hop bloggers for indie music. And there's the good old white music black music cliche to boot.

Anyway, keep blogging in the free world.

Anonymous said...

team9's mash-up/remix 'Crazy Times' is better than the original. http://www.team9.net/mp3s.htm