Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Happy Valentine's Day - Phil Spector's Girl Groups

http://bfarber.com/screens/%5B2128%5DBeMyValentine__640_.jpg

Who wants to be Pound for Pound's Valentine?

Darlene Love, "(Today I Met) The Boy I'm Gonna Marry" (YSI link)

The Crystals, "Then He Kissed Me" (YSI link)

The Paris Sisters, "I Love How You Love Me" (YSI link)

The Crystals, "He's Sure The Boy I Love" (YSI link)

The Ronettes, "Be My Baby" (YSI link)

Hope everyone is having a great Valentine's Day or completely ignoring it. Since it's a day for love, I figured that I'd throw up some classic love songs from the Phil Spector-produced girl groups of the 1960s. I'm not sure why, but these songs just seem so perfect for thisw day. These ain't slow-jams, baby-making music, this is just beautiful music that's all about being in love and kissing and holding hands. Yeah, I know that you were expecting some filthy bass music or depressed singer-songwriter shit, but that's what we're all about here. Fucking with your head, maaaaaayyyyynnnnnnn.

For real, these songs above will probably sound immediately familiar to anyone who ever listened to the oldies station with their parents. While they may be familiar, that doesn't decrease their awesomeness. I highly recommend splurging and grabbing the boxed set that these mp3s come from, Back To Mono.

-My permanent Valentine is Philadelphia. I'd spend the night at The M Room with the Broadzilla peeps at the I Love You I Hate You Valentine's Prom. Don't sit at home bitching about Hallmark and watching your Tivo'd What Not To Wear and Law & Order episodes (hypothetical scenario).




-Awesometown has the XOXO Party tonight in LA at the Short Stop with Dirty Dave, Alex Ebert, Ross Angeles and DJ Chips

AwesometownFlyerFeb14Web


-I wish I was in Paris now and forever. Tonight, hang out with Orgasmic for his CD release at Rex Club.



-DJ Tiny Pants and Oliver are holding it down at Royal Oak, which may get a late Pound for Pound appearance.

-High Voltage at Sutra (1st and 1st) with Dimitry, DJ Tanner and guests Alex English and Shaun Slaughter. Dimitry promises that you'll get laid.

-Philly takes over NYC with Can't Stop. Won't Stop. at Sweet Paradise (14 Orchard St.) with the Philly trio of Andy Pry, Bushy and Dances With White Girls
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


-Happy BDay to Numbskull, celebrating at Triple Crown in Williamsburg

-Finally, Williamsburg's own DJ Never Forget is out in Eugene, Oregon for a Northwest Takeover at Indigo District

No comments: