Tuesday, January 23, 2007

RIP Dave Shayman (Disco D)



This post has been one of the hardest ones I've ever written. I learned early this afternoon that Dave Shayman, known as Disco D, took his life yesterday. For those that don't know, Shayman was one of the best known and talented ghettotech producers and DJs in the early part of this decade. He had since moved to NYC and become a respected hip-hop/r&b producer, while still remaining true to his roots and searching for the new sounds around the world. He was an inspiration for this blog, a person I respected greatly from afar.

It's hard to explain why this has hit me so hard, as this blog isn't intended to be a personal one. It's safe to say that I feel a tremendous kinship with Shayman, as it's been known that he suffered from bipolar disorder for years now. It breaks my heart to see another young person, someone my age, go so young, with so much ahead of him. It reminds me of the struggle that mental illness is, how it threatens you at every moment. It reminds me of all the people who suffer and hurt because they have to live with sufferers. It reminds me of what a tragedy it is that we talk so little about depression and mental illness, particularly as men. It reminds me of how little we have done as society to get people help, to provide a safety net for the weakest.

My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends in this time of sadness. Visit Disco D's myspace page and leave a comment, show those who loved him how much he touched the lives of others, even strangers.

RIP Dave, I hope that you are in a better place today, one where you aren't suffering anymore, where you aren't feeling the pain.

Kol Maleh Rachamim - Prayer For the Soul of the Departed

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too am upset over this loss of life.
He touched my life. I loved his music. I saw him a number of time when he played here in Denver/Boulder. He was truely incredible.
"Disco D, big fat pimp."
He will be missed.

Anonymous said...

damage and which tritess
I'm shocked
Disco why???
....................

Anonymous said...

feel da love dave........is the only feeling i want you to feel.
miss you.
rip <3