Thursday, January 11, 2007

The Return of Theme Time Radio Hour

http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/ca/reviews/20031104/bob_dylan1a.jpg

Bob Dylan, Theme Time Radio Hour #28 (Sleep)

Bob Dylan, Theme Time Radio Hour #29 (Food)


Bob Dylan, Theme Time Radio Hour #30 (Thanksgiving Leftovers)

Theme Time Radio Hour set me free, knowing that it had to let me do other posts and return because it was meant to be. Seriously, I never got tired of these shows, as the entire series was one of the best developments of 2006. Hell, the whole year was a big one for the man, what with the new album, going #1 on the charts, another huge tour. It's an amazing another act for the man, shocking when you consider how few artists have more than one moment, let alone when you think about the impossibility for anyone over the age of 30 to hold such an important spot in the musical dialogue of today.

Unfortunately, these mp3s of the radio shows are single mp3s, not divided up into the individual songs. I'm gonna try to figure out a program to do this, but for now you'll have to listen to the whole thing straight through.

It's worth it though, continuing in the same vein as previous episodes. You get Bob Dylan's own look back at the history of music, the songs and music that has impacted his life. Here's two topics dear to my heart, food and sleep (sorry Thanksgiving leftovers, but I'm putting you under food). I've always thought sleep is one of the those amazing topics I wish I had studied. It seems like this amazing ground between science and art, the real and the imagination. In some ways, I always look at Dylan's break during the 60s, when he went from being the poster boy of the protest movement to being the poet of the personal reflects a similar concept. Sorry for being a little convoluted here, but I'm thinking out loud.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're right ... the shows are a great listening treat ... No 35 - Women's Names - was so, so good ... now No 36, Hair, has him brushing up on Cleanhead Blues with Eddie 'Cleanhead' Vinson and we get a recital of Rapunzel. Who does it better? Answer? No one, better than ol' Bob.