Sunday, January 28, 2007

Say No To Drugs



Clipse, "Got Caught Dealin' Part II" (YSI link)

Montana of Get Rich Clique, "I Got Pills"
(YSI link)

I had been planning a series of posts dedicated to drugs, but I decided against it as the idea started to seem tacky and I'm trying to be sober(ish) now and I feel lots of the music we post up have drugs at its core, no need to be all lame and obvious. But, this is the heads up on a week of acid house and electroclash and all sorts of good stuff that should evoke memories of drug binges and fucked up sounds and the rise and fall.

This Clipse jawn, "Been Caught Dealin' Part II" was never officially released, although it's been a white label of sorts for a few years. This is pre-Lord Willin', a great signpost for where the duo would go. Its subject is not as dark as you'd expect from the title, but there's still a world of money, guilt and reality that is the hallmark of their music. It's also one of the earliest Neptunes beats, which should remind everyone of that bouncy sound that they perfected in their early years. You can grab a copy of the 12" at Turntable Lab, get it fast as I imagine there aren't many more copies lying around.

Love, love love this Get Rich Clique joint. Actually, it's a solo one featuring GRC member Montana and is an ode to pills. It's immediately interesting because of its reference to pills, a decidedly un-hip hop drug reference. Definitely leads one to think of the club/dance scene more, and the snap sound always has me referencing electro, Miami bass, early Chicago house. I love it, especially the one line about dry mouths, where Montana spits the lines through a clenched jaw. More please

I'm gonna break out Stankonia and Miss E...So Addictive for some real drug rap, ravers unite!

-Just a reminder for the LA people that Sunday is your Le Disko night at Safari Sam's (5214 Sunset Blvd) with Daniel, Paparazzi and Mr White. Tonight has a special guest Acid Girls spinning, limited capacity so don't be fashionably late

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

-Brooklyn, kiss and don't tell tonight with my bol DJ Tiny Pants at Capone's Bar (N11th and Roebling) with the Love Brigade clothing mavens



-I dreamt the other night about my little girl Jezebel. Nothing much happened although she did scratch my face (I did touch her puff, so it was deserved. You can take the cat out of Philly, but you can't take Philly out of the cat). I woke up and cried when I realized that she was laying between my legs or snuggling next to me. I read this story about the guy going back into his burning his house to save his cat and it made me happy. Malakiah Ayres is a hero.

-Finally, you're going to notice some changes in the look of this site shortly. Nothing drastic yet, but in the next few months I hope to make this a pretty place, if y'know what I mean. Thanks to the emailer who criticized the black background, helped me break out of my conservative thinking on the visuals. We have lots of end of the year lists coming up, including a guest post by the next Joan Didion, a.k.a. the Fort Greene Assassin. Don't be scurred of the change, change is good, trust me, I have learned this the hard way.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

a thousand "thank you"'s! kiss and tell was a success. Kiss & Tell raised the dead and put them back in their graves. i hope you can make it out to Rocknasty (pre-valentine's bash) at Royal Oak on Feb 10th. You might see me at Studio B soon :)