Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Peter Bjorn and John - Writer's Block



Peter Bjorn and John, "Objects of My Affection" (YSL link)

Peter Bjorn and John, "Paris 2004"
(YSI link)

Sorry for the delay in getting the tunes and wordage up, I've been working on a ton of articles this week and I've only got like a 2000 words in me per day. In fact, I may have had some sort of writer breakdown late last night, which basically entails a good cry, a warm bath and a google search for Scarlett Johansson. Crisis averted. Once the weekend hits, we'll be back into more consistent and quality posts, thanks for understanding.

I figured that we'd continue to look at some of the best new music from the end of 2006 (if you can believe it, I'm still gonna drop some end of the year lists, including one from a special guest from one of my favorite people in the world!). Peter Bjorn and John aren't new to Pound for Pound readers, as I was mentioning them months ago upon the "Young Folks" single dropping and the subsequent remixes. I had a feeling that this was going to be one of those one magical moments kinda things, but I'm happy to say that I was wrong.

Writer's Block is a very good album, another great release exploring the boundaries between pop and electronica. What amazed me most was the fact that there are at least four amazing songs on here, songs that have to be considered in the best songs of the year. In fact, "Objects Of My Affection" might rank as high for me as "Young Folks," which is a huge statement coming from me. I just love the entire sound, it's so beautiful that it almost brings me to tears.Lead singer Peter Moren's vocals are what takes it to the next level, this beautiful, falsetto-like voice that conveys the confusion, sadness and joy that the lyrics discuss. You know what, "Paris 2004" is nearly as good, a wonderful romantic song about love, unabashed joy at being in love.

I recommend this one, pre-order a copy now of the domestic release and hear one of the best 2006. Check out their tour dates, as they are making their first US stops in support of this one in LA or NYC. If you happen to have an extra ticket to the Mercury Lounge or Bowery show, holler.

-High Voltage tonight with Andrew motherfuckin' W.K.! For real! Get to Sutra for one of the best new parties in NYC.



-Welcome to Awesometown! Blow Up LA brings in Franki Chan, Chris Holmes and DJ Chips for some midweek madness.

AwesometownFlyerJan24

-Dave P. is the special guest spinning at the Khyber tonight for the weekly Driz Horse

-I'm curious to hear from the person who left two comments in the Disco D posts, as I'd love to know who insulted me and apologized later. Occasionally, I put up drafts to get a look at the photos/fliers and there are mistakes. I apologize for mistakes, I'm not the best editor, but if you feel the need to insult me, don't.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

my husband has one!