Tuesday, March 28, 2006

West Coast Bad Boyz

http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Alley/7132/westcoast.gif

Master P, "R.I.P. Tupac"

Tru, "Bad Boyz On A Mission"


Mac Dre, "What'cha Like"

I had planned on devoting this week to Mac Dre, but sometimes life throws you a curveball that you just can't hit. I'mma try to make the best out of a terrible situation right now, and up some songs from the two volumes of the mid 90s No Limit compilations, West Coast Bad Boyz. Many don't know, including me for the longest time, that Master P was born in the Bay Area and founded No Limit Records there. It wasn't until it moved to New Orleans that it became a mainstream, platinum, multi-million dollar operation. These two CDs should make clear that the early years were not lacking in great music.

Volume 2 came out in 1997, and was really the last stand of the Bay Area, underground version of the No Limit posse. This CD contains the core group of Master P, Silkk the Shocker, Mr. Serv-on, C Murder, Mia X and Big Ed, along with some of the best of the West Coast hip hop world at that time like Brotha Lynch Hung, Ice Cube and Rappin 4 Tay. I figured that I would lead with a Mac Dre track off of Volume 2, as I love a good segue as much as the next guy. This is some essential music, in my opinion, with the same laid-back flows, gangster imagery and huge bass that Tupac made famous at the same time. It's especially interesting hearing P rapping over a much slower music instead of the familiar, bounce shit that the Down South version of No Limit we all know and love. Oh, and shit, you actually get to hear P rap and spit lyrics, not those grunts and ughhs.

This CD is out-of-print, as far as I can tell, so I would be willing to put up a few more songs from the CD if people want it. I need love right now people, so holler if you want another taste. If not, I'll move on to the first volume, and end the week with the Lil' Wayne unreleased shit and some new Ghostface. Oh, and you know there's going to be at least one Morrissey/Smiths post. Has to be, sorry.

-Speaking of Bay Area Bad Boyz/Girlz, peep another new Bay Area blog, Bay.Watch!. It's not just a clever title, it's also a chance to learn more about the hyphy movement and other shit come out of the area like Hieroglyphics. Make sure to check out the Bay Area Video Lounge Volume 1 and Volume 2. Amazing, for real. Great start, teemoney, can't wait to see where things go.

-Finally, shout to Lifesport, my old gym in Fairmount that I finally rejoined as I have become a fat loser. A great, affordable gym that I recommend anyone in Philly join. I'll be the guy throwing up after walking on the treadmill for 10 minutes.

No comments: