Friday, May 19, 2006

Tapes 'N Tapes - The Loon



Tapes 'n Tapes, "Just Drums"


Tapes 'n Tapes, "Omaha"


I've been meaning to take a look at Tapes 'n Tapes for a few weeks now, months behind the rest of the blogworld. I'm sure that everyone has heard these guys mentioned at places like gorilla vs. bear and music (for robots), as I sure did. All of the attention piqued my interest immediately, as I don't hate on blog hype. Maybe some of the bands don't sound as good to me, but there's been a lot of shit that has the hipster stamp approval that is essential listening for me.

Anyway, Tapes 'n Tapes are a band out of Minneapolis that has an enormous buzz, getting their independent album released on a label this summer, already selling out its two shows at the Bowery Ballroom, a staple of blogs and magazines despite a relatively short existence (2003). On first listen, I didn't get it. I mean, it all sounded fine and dandy, but hype. Why? It didn't sound new or different or unforgettable. You could hear the various infleuences from Pavement to The Strokes to the Pixies, something that would seem to elimate you from "the next big thing" hype.

Before I get into this whole hype thing, let me say that this is one of the better indie albums I have heard this year. Way better than the stuff put out by bigger names like Built To Spill, Flaming Lips and Mogwai. It's got a little bit of the swagger that you don't often associate with bearded indie guys with guitars, a driving, propulsive sound, best evidenced on "Just Drums." There's a feeling that this band loves what it's doing, is so excited to play music, filled with ideas and riffs and sounds that they want to get out. It's all been done before, but not always this passionately and with this much skill. "Omaha" gives a much slower, almost ballad-y feel, showing that this band can change paces and do different things, which should make for a bright future.

However, I keep coming back to why this band is so hyped. Why is a band whose supporters even acknowledge copies the sounds of a lot of bands before it so popular and championed? I mean, Pitchfork, the cynical journalists who love to rain on parades and seem to have no real aesthetic other than cynicism, gives the album an 8.2 and defends its "neoclassicism." What? It seems like such a far cry from times past when Sonic Youth or My Bloody Valentine or Pavement came and changed the way we hear music, did something new and different. Or am I just being too nostalgic? Was it the same back then, just bands tinkering? The reason I mention this is because I feel like indie music is so stagnant right now, losing even the energy of a few years ago when many "discovered" dance music. It seems unwilling to try anything new and there is little hype for those doing just that. This is not a good condition for a healthy scene, imo.

None of this is to blame Tapes 'n Tapes, as I highly recommend the band's music. Go here and cop their album, as it is going to be on a lot of Top 1o lists. Check out their website and their myspace page for tour info, news, more songs and merchw. They're playing at the Church on June 11, so Philly will get its first chance to see the band. Let me know what you think of the music, curious people's opinions.

-For those that automatically tune out any hype band, I will warn you that you can miss some great stuff. think tank has a great post on one such band, Bloc Party, uploading their entire set at Coachella for your convenience. Great blog, btw, lots of variety from MF Doom/Grimm and Cadence Weapon to The National and The Televangelist & the Architect.

-I've gotta agree with Dan Wetzel that this has been the best NBA Playoffs in ages. I've been paying close attention to the Suns-Clippers series, which has been back and forth and now comes down to Game 7. I think Wetzel's May Madness concept works best though, as the fact that unheralded teams are on the verge of beating the superpowers makes this so special. Who thought the Cavs could beat the Pistons? I hope that this is the start of a new golden age in the NBA, for real.

-Pedro Almodovar discusses why he has never done a Hollywood movie. The good news is that one of the great living directors has a new movie out, the "bitter-sweet comedy" Volver, which premiered at Cannes. Can't wait to see it, as MC and I are both huge fans of his work.

-A quick site update: I hope to have a dedicated server this weekend. I also will have a very special weekend of posts, to make up for the disaster that was last weekend. We will have a special birthday celebration tomorrow (hint: our favorite band of all-time's lead singer celebrates tomorrow), then Dylan Sunday. After that, we will get back into the Philly Music stuff and a new special focus. It's about to go down.

No comments: