Saturday, May 20, 2006

The Futureheads-News and Tributes



The Futureheads, "Yes/No"

The Futureheads, "Worry About It Later"


Next up is the Tapes 'n Tapes tourmates later this summer, The Futureheads. These guys made a big splash a few years ago with their self-titled debut and a tour with Franz Ferdinand. This new album, News and Tributes, is a big moment, as the first album, which we will look back at next, was such an intense burst of energy from four young guys getting their big break. Can they sustain it? Can they top it?

Well, I would say yes and no, respectively, to those two questions. The album doesn't do it for me as much as the last one, as the band calms down on this one. For me, I like the wilder, tighter Futureheads of the first album. Here, the songs are longer, which takes away some of the immediacy and energy. But, the band has taken this opportunity to do some new things, writing some different things, slowing down a little, showing that they don't have to go 100 miles per hour all the time. It works to amazing effect on "Worry About It Later", where even the lyrics showcase this newfound maturity. "Skip To The End" is the lead single from the album, a good example of what the band can still do in terms of a concise pop song, beautiful, jangly sound to this one. Oh, and I almost forgot my favorite part of the band's sound: four-part harmonies, motherfuckers! I love it, always a good look in my book.

The blogs are starting to talk about this one, as blogs are for dogs, a PLAGUE of ANGELS, Kill Your Co-Workers, Largehearted Boy, Who Needs Radio? and I Rock Cleveland all have songs up. Fluxblog thinks "Skip To The End" might be the summer jam, indie-style, and I like that thought. Once their tour gets rolling, I feel like more people might start talking about this. You can pre-order this one now (it's official release is June 13), and get the jump on everyone. They will be stopping by the Starlight Ballroom with Tapes 'n Tapes on July 11th, get your tickets here.

-I'm staying in this weekend, so I'm gonna focus on things to do on your computer this weekend. First, go to Kwaya Na Kisser for an amazing wealth of music. For real, you could spend a weekend downloading and enjoying all the great music that Pierre has put up in the past few weeks. I'm gonna do this in two parts, so that I don't overdo it. I have to highlight the live Deerhoof set from May 10, 2005 at the Soundlab in Buffalo, NY. I love Deerhoof, so nice to see another fan and to get the chance to hear the band do their thang live. After that, you should cop another of Pound for Pound's favorites, a Ladytron set from KCRW's Morning Eclectic a few weeks ago. Last but not least, get a little weirder with an Animal Collective concert from March 19, 2006 in Atlanta, GA. Whew, that's so much and there's still more to highlight.

-Next up, grab the lemon-red monthly mix, featuring DJ Gorky this month. Never heard of him? Well, he is a member of Bonde de Role, the first band signed to Mad Decent, the label that Diplo has set up. This month, he does the DJ thing with Electro Pancada and wrecks it, giving that much needed baile funk for the summer.

-In honor of the English lads in The Futureheads, my own obsession with YouTube and the upcoming World Cup, check out this video compilation of the best goals ever scored in the English Premier League. If this doesn't give you goosebumps, I feel sorry for you. The first goal on the tape (scored by the great Tony Yeboah), which I actually saw on a weekly EPL highlights show right after it happened, is still the greatest one I've ever seen.

-Happy birthday to MF, whose blog birthday present will come soon. One of the great people around, I hope that she gets all that she asks for and has wonderful day in celebrating her birth.

-I just wanted to let everyone know that the special Saturday post will be moved back to Monday, as I had the wrong date for this man's birthday. Sorry for the convenience, but I hope that the wait will prove worth it. Check that, I know it will be worth it.

No comments: