Saturday, May 20, 2006

Give Me Television or Death



Saving Jane, "Girl Next Door"

The Afters, "Beautiful Love"


Having been cooped up the past few days, possibly a result of twisting my ankle grotesquely at the end of Saturday's drunken atrocity, I have had the chance to watch a g-dforsaken amount of TV. I figured this would be a good time to discuss everyone's favorite topic, mother, friend, lover and therapist, television. The networks are bringing their series to a wrap with all sorts of farewells I don't give a shit about (That 70s Show, why didn't you go out a few years ago on top?) and cliffhangers I do (Grey's Anatomy, well done, and House, I don't know what that crazy bol has in store for us, but I'm sure he does it his way.)

The songs above come from two of my favorite shows today, Tiara Girls and 8th & Ocean, further proof that MTV is a network Einstein or something. It's hard to believe that it took this long to get a show like Tiara Girls on the air, a behind-the-scenes look at pageant girls, their families and their lives. This shit is gold, if by gold one means nauseating and uncomfortable. It's shocking to see how fucked up and terrible some parents are, pressuring their daughters to participate in these pointless contests. My personal favorite so far has to be the mother who recommends her daughter get Botox in her lips at the age of 16, pressures her to get lipo and assures that this girl will pay for some psychiatrist's vacation home in a few years. I love it all, every painful second, as it adheres to my number one aesthetic rule with TV: it makes me feel better about myself and my own childhood.

What can I say about 8th & Ocean? I can say that it is one of my favorite shows, my guiltiest pleasures and the inspiration for the upcoming Pound for Pound calender. When I heard that MTV was bringing out a show about models and their lives, I scoffed at such a vapid concept. But, once I sat down and watched an episode, I was hooked like Whitney. It has won my allegiance with the opposite aesthetic of Tiara Girls: the one that makes me feel ugly and hate myself and wish I were someone else. This is the governing principle of my life, which means that it's not my first choice for my free time, but what can you do?

The picture above is of the most beautiful girl on the show, Briana Hicks. She's not one of the stars, and really doesn't get much air time, to be honest. But, without a doubt, she puts the other girls to shame looks and stylewise, imo. I am in negotiations to have her as Miss June in the Pound for Pound 2007 calender, a real classy shot posing with one of my 12 favorite Miami Bass 12". Holler at your bol, Briana, let's do this thing, we can negotiate on what song you represent.

Since I can already picture MC writing a comment or email to me now, let me just add that MC is much more beautiful than anyone in this show. It amazes me that she is not a model, with her beauty, looks and style. But, I'm glad she isn't, because she would end up dating some guy like Teddy, all good-looking and hot and not my ugly ass. MC will not be in the calender, sorry fellas, I'm just a jealous guy.

-Congragulations America, pat yourself on the back for voting this woman into the American Idol finals:


Katherine McPhee is the only possible winner of this year's contest, especially since Taylor Hicks is the other finalist. Dude is all schtick, the whole Joe Cocker, white-guy soul thing is horrendous. She's talented with an amazing voice, especially given the right song, and the only one I can see having a chance to have a hit or career. And no, I'm not supporting Katharine because she has big boobs and is attractive. Give me some credit, do you really think I'm think that I'm that shallow?

http://forum.bearchive.com/files/468536-yellowdress.jpg

Wait, don't answer that.

-One of the two shows I try to watch every night of the week is The Countdown with Keith Olbermann on MSNBC. It's like a beacon in the darkness of cable news, an actual show that criticizes Bush and the Republican Congress for the mess this country is in. Most importantly, he has a war with one of the worst human beings on Earth, Bill O'Reilly. Enemy of your enemy is a friend, right? For real, Olbermann is witty, funny, intelligent and a rare voice from the Left on cable. You also know he's cool cos he has a blog, nuff said, alright?

-Speaking of the other show, The Colbert Report, check out this great clip from an old Daily Show with Colbert looking at the new "colored people" being discriminated against. Hilarious, or did he just blow your mind?

-One more Briana picture.

No comments: