Friday, May 05, 2006

Stephen Colbert















It's funny, I'd been meaning to do a post about The Colbert Report, which has quickly become required viewing and quite possibly the funniest show on television with the cancellation of Arrested Development (I have not forgotten FOX). It started out hit or miss the first few weeks, and at times I wasn't sure that the concept would work over the long haul. It seemed like a funny bit for an episode or two, but I didn't think that it would get much mileage out of the right wing nutjob pundit schtick for very long. Damn was I wrong! The show now rivals The Daily Show for me.

Anyway, he seemed like a cult figure until this past Saturday night, when the shit hit the fan. Colbert put on the funniest, most ballsy thing I have ever seen. Bol made fun of the President relentlessly for 20 minutes and Bush was sitting like 1o feet from him giving him the stink eye! Even better, he ripped into the mainstream journalists in the room without mercy, these humorless toadies for the White House who were there for the martinis and afterparties. Now, it is the talk of the nation, and Colbert has ascended to the top of the comedy heap.

You need to watch this performance in its entirety. Democratic Underground has the entire video in two parts. Perez Hilton has your guide to watch the entire massacre as well(Thanks to MC for this link). Crooks and Liars has excerpts, and was the first site to get footage up from the event. Dailykos' Frederick has the entire transcript available. Eschaton has the links too and his list of favorite parts of the speech. My favorite line is the part about the reporters going home to write that novel they have in them. "You know, the one about the intrepid Washington reporter with the courage to stand up to the administration. You know - fiction!" What's your favorite line?

I'm going to up a Colbert clip every day for the next week in honor of this performance, which made me wet my pants with glee. I'm gonna start with this one from an old Daily Show, where Colbert looks at the dodge ball controversy. Enjoy.

I am a member of the Colbert Nation. Are you?

http://www.tvsquad.com/images/2005/10/colby.jpg

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

how can you pick a favorite line???? mine might be:

"Mayor Nagin, I'd like to welcome you to Washington, D.C., the chocolate city with a marshmallow center."

or is it:

"I believe the government that governs best is the government that governs least. And by these standards, we have set up a fabulous government in Iraq."

superb.

Anonymous said...

It was an incredible speech - that stunned silence, speaking truth to power, etc. I laughed so hard.

"The last third is usually backwash."

Man, Colbert is MADE of balls. Like, entirely.