Thursday, May 04, 2006

Massive Attack - Collected

http://www.occhiaperti.net/pix/clas/massive_attack_003_jpg.jpg

Massive Attack, "Teardrop"

Massive Attack, "Protection"

Massive Attack, "Five Man Army"


Massive Attack feat. Terry Callier, "Live With Me"

Massive Attack feat. Mos Def, "I Against I"


Following up on the recent electronic vibe around these parts, it seemed the perfect time to look at the new Massive Attack retrospective, which is simply called Collected. It's hard to believe that it has been 15 years since Massive Attack brought the trip-hop sound to world. I must confess to not being a big fan the first few times I heard their music; unfortunately, my ears were more in tune to harsher, dissonant stuff. MA's music eventually came through when I really started to listen to how dark the music was, giving it a chance in spite of the fact that there was no skronking horns or screeching guitars. This music sounds so amazing today, so urban in its claustrophobia, its existential angst lyrics and the simmering sexuality.

Listen to the songs above, as they give a pretty good sense of Collected. Disc 1 is dedicated to the greatest hits off of their four albums, with a few tracks from each album. Disc 2 is dedicated to B-sides and rarities, the hook to get people to buy this collection despite owning all of the LPs. I must confess that I'm not sure I would recommend buying this compilation, as the second disc is not really worth more than a listen or two. This track above, "I Against I", comes off of the Blade II Soundtrack and is amazing. It's got a much darker, claustrophobic electro beat than any of their hits, and you just know I love that. Plus, Mos Def adds some decent rhymes, proving that he isn't completely meaningless. "Live With Me" is the newest track from the band, and proves that they aren't dead yet. It's a real slow-burning, classic MA song, with Chicago folk legend Terry Callier adding the weary, beautiful vocals.

Everyone should recognize the other songs, the greatest of their greatest hits. "Protection" has been on a loop for me today, so deliberate, heartbroken, great vocals, swirling organs. It sounds as good as anything coming out today, which either says great things about the group's music or terrible things about today's performers. I'm going to go with the former.

Buy the Special Edition here, and get the extra bonus of a few music videos. Make sure to check out their first four albums, which are essential listening and might be a better buy than Collected. Tom Breihan has a review up at Pitchfork. Funtime OK, Awesome Until Proven Guilty, Motel de Moka, New Music for Middle Aged Men and Comfort Music have additional music for you to enjoy.

-I had to give this post at Palms Sound Out its own category, as it's that good. Grab a ton of Massive Attack remixes, and get a chance to hear how the band reworks the music of others. Great stuff, props to the people at PSO.

-In more UK music news, have a listen to the new Skepta track called "Guppy" at his myspace page [Via Catchdubs]. It is sick and only makes me more frustrated that I haven't stayed on the grind with grime in the last year. Oh, and you might as well grab the track by the Connoisseurs that Sneakmove have upped. I hadn't heard of it, but it gets the Catchdubs stamp of approval, which is good enough for me.

-Back in the good ol' US of A, Big Brother is all around man. Newsday reports that domestic spying has increased by a fifth in just one year. Oh, and the President has chosen to ignore more laws passed by Congress than any President ever, and he isn't done with his term yet. How expensive is it to live in Paris? Get at me, my Parisian fans. Once I buy my tan trenchcoat, I'm ready to go.

-In Philly news, Dr. Dog, The Teeth and The National Eye are playing a show at the First Unitarian Church tonight. Tickets for Radiohead go on sale Saturday for two shows at the Tower Theater, June 1 and 2.

-Paradise at Key West returns tonight, and has morphed into a weekly that has a great look. Ron Morelli and Mike Twobley spin classic house/disco/Italo/acid, a return to the old times. Upcoming special guests include Dave P of Making Time, Tim Sweeney of DFA/Beats in Space and Ghostly International's Jeffrey "Menergy" Sfire. All of this goes down in the upstairs of Key West, fitted with disco ball and mirrored walls.

No comments: