Friday, June 23, 2006

Yung Joc - It's Goin' Down



Yung Joc, "It's Goin' Down"


Yung Joc feat. Trae, "It's Goin' Down" (remix)

It's indeed goin' down here at Pound for Pound, so it makes sense to throw up the song of the same name that's getting all kinds of silly airplay right now. I gotta say that I love the song, love that Nitty beat, love the whole fucking thing. It's got that Southern drawl that turns any lyric into gold at this blog, a great refrain that's short and simply ("Meet me in the trap/It's goin' down"). But, the real reason to tune in is the Nitty beat, which is absolutely disgusting, a minimalist, snap music soundtrack to a horror movie. Shit's really sinister sounding, that synth making me feel like someone's about to die. Couple that with the mechanical drums, the drum dropouts during the refrain, the snaps, well, you hdave yourself a great song. What makes this a real contender is the fazct that I could see this doing well in the club and on the iPod, it's much more versatile than most hip hop tunes today. It's a club banger (with dance and all) and a street corner anthem all at once. Impressive.

The remix is pretty good too, as Houston gets a say in the matter. Trae, Houston star and Guerilla Maab member, takes the first verse and slows it a down a little. It's not much, but always nice to have Trae getting more exposure. The original's what you want, though.

-Watch Tom Cruise do the "It's Goin' Down" dance on a BET awards show.

-I gotta give a shout out to Boyd's Philadelphia, the premiere men's store in this city and one of the best in the country. I cannot recommend it more highly, as they take care of you every step of the way and give you good advice on all that shit like colors and cuts that intimidates you. I copped a charcoal grey Trussini suit, light blue shirt and purple tie, real boss. It's time to step my fashion game up. Fuck sneakers and t-shirts, the new thing is suits and Gucci shoes. wHowever, if you have a pair of deadstock Kid Robot or Tier 0 Air Max 1s, please holler.

-You know what's really goin' down today? A wedding. Two good friends, SR and AH, are finally tying the knot and yours truly will be there to celebrate this wonderful day. I wish them the very best, as they are perfect together. I'm telling myself not to cry, but I make no promises.

-As a thank you to everyone who checked in here and over email this past week, I am going to go back and upload every song that we've talked about since the beginning of the year. I'm gonna move to a host as soon as July begins, but figured that this would be a nice gesture to make up for my brief freakout earlier this week. Give it a few days, as there is a lot of songs to go up, y'know? Enjoy.

No comments: