Thursday, June 01, 2006

Goldfrapp - Slide In (DFA remix)



Goldfrapp, "Slide In (DFA remix)"

Since I was just talking about their remixes, I had to throw up this one by the DFA boys, my favorite remix of Goldfrapp's music. "Slide In" also comes off of their most recent album, Supernature, although it was not one of the standout tracks for me. The DFA duo give it a nice extended treatment, adding all of their traditional elements, from the cowbells (more cowbell, indeed), hand claps, tons of percussion. We'll have a lot more to say about James Murphy and Tim Goldsworthy, as we'll get into the Remixes: Chapter 1 release and some other goodies in the next few days. Stay tuned.

-Peeping Tom, Mike Patton's new album on Ipecac Records, can now be heard in its entirety over at their myspace page. Early word is not good, but I know that Mike Patton is one of MC's favorites, and I've always tried to keep abreast of what he's up to, as any friend of John Zorn's is a friend of mine. It's got quite a cast, from Bebel Gilberto to members of the Anticon Collective. I imagine that this is intended as a sort of Handsome Boy Modeling School/Lovage project, as Dan The Automator plays a role on this one as well. Silence Is A Rhythm Too already has one of the tracks from the album up, "Kill the DJ", a Massive Attack-produced song.

-Even more interesting at SIART, Michael has up a track from the upcoming Jamie Lidell remix album, Multiply Additions. Grab the Luke Vibert remix, looking forward to hearing the entire album, especially the Gonzales and Herbert jawns.

-Mars Needs Guitars has a great look at Boards of Canada, including a few tracks from their most recent release, Trans Canada Highway.

-Before I forget, I have to mention what a great Memorial Day MC and I had, getting a chance to check out a couple more entries in the B Noir Festival at the Film Forum in the West Village. This time, two of Anthony Mann's finest were featured, T-Men and Raw Deal. Raw Deal was amazing, a classic criminal on-the-run story told with the wisecracking dames, shadowy cinematography and moral ambiguity that I could watch forever and forever. Try to see both of them, as they're highly recommended.

Best (or worst) of all, Film Forum draws the weirdest people ever, making for great people watching (or freak show recruiting). From the man with golf-ball sized head bumps to the woman who tells you to not move your hands because that distracts her from the movie to a woman who read the entire issue of The Onion out loud in line, it's a different world. A far worse, more annoying world.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jack, thanks for the shoutout to Mars Needs Guitars!

Merz

Michael said...

Hey Jack -

The Jamie Lidell is out. I picked it up this week, hence the post. Thanks for the link!

FutureMedia said...

Just discovered Alison Thursday when Letterman re-ran her recent appearance with Bruce Willis. She is obviously incredible and I am a sudden big fan. I wish she would work on a ten mix Maxi-Single of Slide In with all sorts of guest DJs. Would be a huge hit I'm sure. I think Slide In is her best song. Found your Blog when I googled "Slide In Goldfrapp". Wow this song is so underrated. Can't wait to hear the DFA remix. Thanks a lot!

BTW Bruckhammer & Depp just broke the all time 3 day record with $132 Million for Pirates 2.