Friday, June 02, 2006

DFA Remixes: Chapter One



The Chemical Brothers, "The Boxer (DFA remix)"


The Chemical Brothers, "The Boxer"


I can't think of a better way to head into the weekend than to up a few tracks from the new (ok, not that new) DFA release, DFA Remixes: Chapter One. This one is so necessary, collecting some of the best and best-known remixes by DFA. I know that most of these are probably already on your iPod, but it's nice to have them on one disc and a good chance to support the label.

It seems like a good time to discuss the DFA's remixes, as I dropped the Goldfrapp one yesterday (which is scheduled for Volume 2), but didn't really elaborate on what it sounded like or why I like it. Everyone mentions these guys when discussing the return of dance-punk or whatever you want to call it, not surprising considering their affiliation with Radio 4, Hot Chip and Black Dice. But, I think that you have to consider their roots in dance music to really understand their remixes. They have been at the forefront of the return to the extended 12" remix that enjoyed its start in the disco/house movement. Those extended remixes took the structure of a song and expanded on it, both in time and sound.

DFA are doing this on all of these tracks. Like an architect, they add the flourishes (handclaps, cowbells, dub reverb, synth washes, etc.) to a base structure (the original song.) I can't really pick out a favorite, so I went with the one that's called "The Boxer" and that is just a gorgeous song. Plus, I may put up two more songs from this album in the near future, Gorillaz "Dare" and Blues Explosion's "Mars Arizona" (along with a few other remixes of those songs).

After listening to this CD all day and thinking these thoughts, I've decided to take the focus next week back to the disco years, specifically a look at the Trax Records label and two amazing compilations that are OOP: both volumes of the disco-not-disco series and the three volumes of Mutant Disco. I may even try to come up with some other goodies, but no guarantees. After that, maybe we'll take a look at the early days of electro, or the downtown scene in NYC at around the same time, or hell, maybe skip right to our bread and butter, Miami bass. Let me hear what you think, I'm so excited to get going on all of this.

-Grab the LCD Soundsystem show over at rbally, capturing them performing at Electric Picnic in Ireland last September. I know that this type of music sounds best in a club or on CD, but I love this live version of the music. There's something about a live recording, faults and all, that sounds so good to me. Maybe I am a Deadhead, egads!

-John Redden is one Philly DJ who fits in perfectly as we turn to the 80s and new wave and electro. Why do I bring him up? Well, he's gonna be spinning downstairs at The Popoff Shack this Saturday night. Low Budget and Brendan Bring'em upstairs, as always. This is like my iPod came to life and all of my favorite music got played. Also, you can catch Redden at his M Lounge weekly, Hands & Knees, every Friday night, his followup to the legendary Socket party at Silk City.

-There's a new exhibit at Space 1026, Help Yourself To Roses, featuring Philly artist Alex da Corte. It begins tonight with an opening reception.

-Can you spell "ursprache"? Hell can you pronounce it? Me either. 13-year old Katharine Close can and did to win the Scripps National Spelling Bee yesterday. Congrats to her, nice to see Jersey keeps on putting out smart girls (cf MC and MF.) I love any story that makes me feel stupid and old at the same time. I did a bit of adding and realized that this girl was born in the 1990. For g-dsakes, I was in high school when she was born!!!! Very depressing. MC found me this morning lying in the tub, crying, clutching a box full of cassettes and a pair of Z Cavaricci pants.

No comments: