Friday, June 16, 2006

Black Jak - Ride and Swerve



Blak Jak feat. Project Pat, "Ride and Swerve"

I just got this one, and couldn't think of a better track to head into the weekend with. I know that I've been pathetic with hip hop here lately. I hope that people don't take this silence as a sign of changing taste or a growing dislike for hip hop. Far from it, just haven't been doing a good job of getting up what I have. I'mma try to remedy that as we go forward, although I may just wait until we get back into Miami bass to make this happen. Holler if you want more hip hop now, as I'd be glad to oblige.

Anyway, this track is a nice one to get back into the swing of things, hiphopwise. Blak Jak is a newcomer to the scene, another bol from the ATL doing big things. But, this one isn't a snap anthem or T.I. clone. In fact, it's got a sorta general Southern feel, no specific region sticks out to my ears. Project Pat is on here (so good to hear him), but it doesn't have the typical Memphis sound, the drums aren't as brutal, piano loop gives it a different sound entirely. He references Soulja Slim, but there's no Cash Money or No Limit feel either. It's a song about cars and ridin', which is why it works as a Southern song in general. Lyrically, it's a good showing, although Pat kinda outshines him here, for me. The only thing preventing this from being a summer jam is the beats, it just doesn't have that catchiness to take it to that next level. It's grown on me, actually, with each listen. Oh, best of all, it's 4 minutes and 20 seconds long exactly. DANK!

Look for the full length album, Place Your Bets, later this summer. In the meantime, you can check out the official website or Blak Jak's myspace page.

-Cable and Tweed have an amazing post about one of my favorite bands ever, The Velvet Underground. I've been listening a ton to White Light/White Heat this month, so this is timely. Anyway, go there and grab a two disc set of VU covers from the likes of Jim O'Rourke, Of Montreal and unknown Japanese bands. Even better, there's a few extra covers from Cat Power, Rilo Kiley, The Decembrists, Iron & Wine and Calexico and Strawberry Switchblade. An amazing and generous post, as these CDs are long out of print. To the tie the post together, Cable and Tweed is out of Blak Jak's hometown of Atlanta. A great blog, I'm sure I'll be referencing it a lot more.

-For those in Philly tonight, Baltimore club maestro Aaron Lacrate is spinning at Shouk. You should be there, as it's a chance to hear a great DJ at a great spot. Smoke a hookah, relax, put your leg up, watch out for the big girl, you know the deal.

-Let's hope this great weather holds out for another day, as Philebrity Beach House is supposed to go off tomorrow. It was cancelled a few weeks ago because of inclement weather, so I think that G-d owes it to Northern Liberties. Anyway, this is gonna be so much fun, block party style. That means lots of beer, kid's pools, girls, food and music, music, music. The Lilys are playing, along with a few lesser-known Philly bands (schedule at the bottom.) Philebrity gives you 10 more reasons to go, as if you need them after my endorsement.

1 comment:

wildflower seed said...

Hey,
Thanks for the link to Cable and Tweed. I love VU and cant say enough good things about those first four albums.