Monday, February 21, 2005

Must See TV

It's time to get serious on here, as I am tired of dealing with the "real world" and "issues". I long for a world where talent is not important (cf. Dennis Miller), all the ugly and poor people get make-overs, and the most difficult test of one's character is living in a house with 6 strangers. So, turn on the laugh track, bring the studio audience in and let us enter the magical world of television.

I was recently informed that Arrested Development, the funniest show on network TV since Seinfeld called it quits, had stopped production and would be cancelled. Needless to say, I was devastated. I suddenly had a vision of Sundays at 8:30 spent reading, spending time with friends and family or trying out new restaurants.

I looked into the rumors, and can say that the show is not cancelled yet. Rather, Arrested Development will be moved out of the 8:30 Sunday night time slot, replaced by American Dad. Also, Fox has ordered less episodes for next season, meaning that they are beginning to hedge their investment in the show. You can read here the letter the network sent out, which expresses both support and the need for more viewers.

So, the show has survived for another year, and it is now do or die time. The show needs to get more viewers, as it has been stuck around 6 million since it debuted. I beg you to watch this show, as I know that everyone will love it. It is the best thing on network TV, and will be remembered as one of the funniest shows to ever air. Watch one episode, and I guarantee that you will fall in love with the show. You will end up buying the first season on DVD, telling your friends about it, even developing a secret crush on Jason Bateman (all hypothetical, not based on my own life).

But, before I end this, I must call out Fox, who are so afraid to commit to a show that does not feature midgets or fake bosses. What are you trying to do to me, Fox? It ain't bad enough that you are the main vehicle for right-wing lies and distortions? That you have forever tarnished the notion of journalism? That Brit Hume has been given a means to subsist? Now, you wanna cancel my jawn, the only thing on network TV that is worth watching. Well, I will bring the motherfuckin' ruckus. Shit will get real ugly for you people; do not want to test me. As Onyx used to scream, "Don't make me angry, you won't like me when I'm angry!"

And that's what this really comes down to, isn't it? I am being tested by G-d, much like Job (with a J) was tested. We are in the belly of the whale right now, people, and we must stay faithful. Stay strong, stay faithful and before you know it, we will be spit out by the whale, stronger than ever with great sitcoms to watch.

In other TV news, check out Race-O-Rama premeiring this week on VH-1 at 9 P.M. It is the work of the good people behind ego trip, the legendary hip-hop magazine of the 90s. If you do not own the two books that they put out, stop now and buy them. ego trip's Book of Rap Lists and Big Book of Racism are witty, obsessive, hilarious takes on hip-hop and our society, taking shots at everyone and showing love to the music that is so much a part of our lives (at least, my life). I imagine the TV show will be in a similar vein, and looking at the titles for the first three episodes (Blackaphobia, Dude, Where's My Ghetto Pass?, In Race We Lust) feelings will not be spared.

Oh, and check out Cheap Seats, in case anyone missed my previous post. I have to assume that you did, as I cannot imagine anyone would ignore my recommendations, would they?

Finally, go here and take this test to determine which O.C. character you are. Needless to say, I am Seth, which should come as little surprise to those who know me and the neurotic character of the racy dramedy. I mean, we both laughed at Summer's "Kavalier and Gay" joke, for chrissakes! Enjoy, and let us know which character you are.

No comments: