Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Television: Teacher, Mother, Secret Lover


























Since MC and I stayed in last night, getting our rest on, I have to let everyone know about the TV goodness that kept us company.

-First, Arrested Development's third season began last night on Fox at 8 P.M. It's a new day, but same time, for the greatest show ever. That's right, I said it. It's still kinda stunning that we are even going to get another season, after the constant threats of cancellation hung over production last year. It is even more stunning that people don't watch this show, and that critics don't ride its jock constantly. Everybody Loves Raymond wins an Emmy for Best Comedy? Are you kidding me? Are the voters from Narnia? Is every day Opposite Day in Hollywood, where garbage is honored and the talentless rule? Maybe I'm just out of touch. Anyway, the Bluth family is back, and I couldn't be happier. Great site here for all of your AD needs. Good season premiere, great start to the week.

-MTV drops back-to-back madness during the 10 Spot (10-11 P.M.), with new episodes of Laguna Beach and Sweet Sixteen. It's a great hour exposing the shallowness, tastelessness and inanity of the rich, making you feel better that you didn't grow up rich. Of course, once you get the bills and see your bank statement, this hour looks pretty fucking worthless. Whatever. Can I just say that 1) I am really getting sick of Kristen, with her constant need for attention and not coming to Jessica's defense when Alex was talking shit, 2) Jason is the most inarticulate human being since and 3) I am totally embarrassing and should not be allowed to watch reality shows involving high school kids. Oh, and why weren't there divo parties when I was growing up? I am sure that my father would gladly have thrown a 6 figure party to celebrate my birthday, complete with fashion show and new BMW. When I say "6 figure party", I mean an alarm clock or right hook at my head. If you are not watching these shows, I'm not sure what you talk about at the Food Court or on IM. Get up on this ish, or doom yourself to pop irrelevance.

-The first person who emails or posts a reply below that takes my hints and names the person who is the upcoming focus at Pound for Pound will receive a special mp3 as first prize. Get to it readers, as this is a lay-up.

-Finally, I want to leave you with a wonderful quote from the Richard Ford essay I linked to a few days ago. It sums up the brilliance of New Orleans, the city, any city, in its role as tolerant center, open to any and all. The city as haven, as transgressive site. A space for our projections, our dreams, our secrets, our nightmares.

"It is - New Orleans is - a city foremost for special projections, for the things you can't do, see, think, consume, feel, forget up in Jackson or Little Rock or home in Topeka. 'We're at the jumping-off place,' Miss Welty wrote. This was about Plaquemines, just across the river. It is - New Orleans - the place where the firm ground ceases and the unsound footing begins. A certain kind of person likes such a place. A certain kind of person wants to go there and never leave."

3 comments:

Brendan Dugan said...

Who would want to be in that musty old claptrap?
...
...
...
The cabin - yes...

Gold

jayo said...

numbers.

jayo said...

wait i was looking at the wrong post for hints. bob dylan.