Sunday, July 17, 2005

Saul Williams and Catchdubs



















Saul Williams, Real Niggery Volume 1

I have been meaning to post this up for the past week or so, but I have not been on top of my blogging game recently. Anyway, this was originally posted up on Catchdubs, free for download and recommended for upload. It is the mixtape that Nick put together for Saul Williams, the spoken-word, hip hop artist, with Nick bringing his remix and blend skills to this nice intro to Saul's music. Since I am guessing that this had a small pressing, this might be your only chance to hear this and get up on a new, exciting artist.

Anyway, for those who have never heard of Saul Williams, he was a legendary figure in the spoken word movement of the 90s. His starring role in the indie film Slam brought him acclaim and slam poetry to the world. Logically, it is his verbal skills that set him apart. I first heard him on the track "Lists of Demands" from his solo debut last year, which Catchdubs has used as his base. What struck me most was the passionate, political lyrics that never came across as preachy. Unlike the Common-Roots-Talib Kweli axis, I felt like this was an artist talking to/with me, not down to me.

Download the entire mix. Unfortunately, I do not have the track listing, so perhaps someone can fill us in on the song names or provide a link to get the info. Check back during the week for lots of reggaeton heat, in honor of the reggaeton events in Philly this week.

-Go check out Catchdubs, as he has been dropping lots of link goodness. More to come on him, as I finally copped his mixtape this past week.

-I have alphabetized the links list on the right (OCD people stand the fuck up!). There will be some additions this week, which I will let y'all know about. I hope that everyone had a great weekend, in spite of the sweltering heat and torrential downpours. Pound for Pound va a conseguir muy caliente esta semana, as there will be lots of Daddy Yankee, Don Omar, Tego Calderon, Ivy Queen and reggaeton remixes for your listening pleasure. This is the music that is killin' it for me this summer, and I hope that it will become your first choice for July and August, my dear readers. By the way, that Spanish is supposed to say "Pound for Pound is going to get very hot this week." Please let me know if it does not read this, and instead says something like "Pound for Pound likes to show his sexual parts to invalids."

No comments: