Wednesday, December 27, 2006

The Blow - Paper Television

http://www.krecs.com/graphics/AlbumCovers/coversLrg/klp178.jpg

The Blow, "Parentheses" (yousendit link)

The Blow, "The Big U" (yousendit link)

Aww, fuck it. I can't stay away from you, my dear readers. Fuck taking a few days off, we're back on the grind NOW. What makes me happy? What takes away the tears? That's right, lo-fi electro bangers. The Blow are one of those late-arriving groups that are forcing me to rework my end of the year lists. Thanks to my girl JK for her recommendation on this one a few weeks ago, as her myspace song grabbed me and she informed that they have a crazy good album out. She was right, as Paper Television is one of the best albums of the year, one of those great surprises that make listening to music so much fun, even for jaded fucks like me.

The Blow started out as a one woman band, a vehicle for singer/producer Khaela Maricich. On this one, she's working with YACHT's Jona Bechtolt and I'm hard pressed to think that this one doesn't work better as a duo. What initially drew me in on first listen was the music, as Maricich and Bechtolt have created a wonderful sounding album. I want to call it bedroom electro, but this isn't lo-fi cassette shit. It does feel like something created on a computer, from the drum programming to the nods at every genre imaginable. That's not a bad thing, as it never sounds like it's being done in a show-off way. There's a consistent struggle throughout between a warm and cold sound (mirroring the lyrics),

But, with repeated listens, it's the lyrics and voice of Maricich that holds me. This is an album exploring love and relationships, the struggle to give your heart over in spite of the fear of being hurt. Her voice is gorgeous, conveying all of the complicated emotions. Check this Pitchfork review for a much closer reading of the lyrics. Then, go buy this CD immediately. No excuses.

-LA's indie jam Blow Up invades Miami and the Damaged party at The Mark Out

-James Brown will be laid in state tomorrow at the Apollo Theater. I can't think of a more fitting tribute, as he deserves one last moment in his house. I'm gonna try to make it up to Harlem to pay my respects, despite feeling a bit weird about seeing the body and all.

-Good to see the Nuggets win their first with Allen Iverson, even better to hear the fans gave him a standing ovation at the end.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thats a good LP