Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Kylie - 2 Hearts

Kylie Minogue - 2 Hearts 12"

Kylie, "2 Hearts" (YSI link)

Kylie, "2 Hearts (Alan Braxe remix)" (YSI link)

Kylie, "2 Hearts (Studio version)" (YSI link)

It's not often that a post about Kylie Minogue isn't all about Kylie. I mean, it's Kylie, the discopop queen who gave me and the world "Can't Get You Out Of My Head" and "Love At First Sight." However, one listen to the Studio remix of the first single "2 Hearts" from her recent album X and you'll forget about the Australian goddess and think only of an Ibizan sunset party with a bunch of Norwegians. From the first flamenco guitar notes, this one just sounds so right to me. The guitars lead the way, while a lazy beat and some FX keep things laidback and easy throughout. Just as importantly, they've altered the vocals, taking out this annoying "Whoo" that Kylie does during the refrain. I love how this one sort of floats along, lovelovelove it. Much more to come with Studio and this sound, cross my heart.

It's an improvement over the original, which never quite gels for me. There's nothing bad about this one, Kylie's voice sounds good, the piano just gives it a plodding sound that doesn't work for our girl. It's always nice to see Alan Braxe's name attached to any project, being a legend and all. I feel like it's too rare to hear the man, even more rare to see him doing his remix thing solo, without the aid of Fred Falke. This isn't one of my favorite things he's ever done (those "Whoo-hoo"s really wear on me here), although he does bring a nice big beat that gives the song a better dancefloor feel and a rumbling bass to make the song much more dirty and nasty, and therefore better.

Grab a copy of the LP, it's getting good reviews at Amazon and can you ever really go wrong with Kylie Minogue.

No comments: