Monday, January 07, 2008

Album Of The Year: LCD Soundsystem - Sound Of Silver

LCD Soundsystem - Sound Of Silver

LCD Soundsystem, "Someone Great" (YSI link)

We're going to take a look back at the year that passed this week, officially say goodbye to 2007. Let's call it closure. I always get neurotic with these end of the year lists, as they find that sweet spot in a horrible personality made up entirely of neuroses, list-making, obsessiveness and self-loathing. Let's call it a perfect storm. I usually make like a million different top 10s, change them around, try to divide them into different categories so that I don't leave anyone out, take weeks too long to finalize anything and is generally an exercise in futility.

New year, new man. I have James Murphy to thank for this, I think. LCD Soundsystem's Sound Of Silver is my album of the year, an easy decision for me to be honest. It was the one I was most excited for, the one that I loved the most right away and the one that I keep coming back to. I have recommended it endlessly to friends, it's been a soundtrack for days at a time. I recently told someone that this was my favorite album of the year and he disagreed, didn't get why everyone seemed to like it so much. It's a fair question. For me, this was dance music for adults. In a year of new rave and electrorock dominance, this album was deeper, more thoughtful and interesting than all of the other dance music I heard.

It's the heart of the album, "Someone Great" and "All My Friends," where things go from great to classic. "Someone Great" is the a gorgeous, heartbreaking song that chronicles the end of a relationship, with oscillating synths, tinkling keys and effects slowly building up over the 6 and a half minutes. Usually the lyrics are a weak point, but these ones are wonderful, Murphy's voice is perfect for me, as I love to hear a less-than-perfect voice"All My Friends" sounds even better, a truly epic keys track that brings me to tears. It's this seriousness and willingness to wear emotions on the sleeve that makes it rise over the competition, makes it feel more permanent and less faddish. Of course, there's also upbeat dance punk stuff, instrumentals, cowbells and even a ballad, all of which adds up to a complete package.

That variety also gets at the idea that this is adult dance music. I'm not sure I'm explaining that well, or even can, but in essense, there's something confident about this album, as if Murphy, Goldsworthy and crew just knew what they wanted to do and did it, regardless of trends or whatever. Even something as simple as writing a song that doesn't run from emotions seems so mature, a comfortable-in-one's-own-style kinda thing that was refreshing. I'm rambling at this point, but hopefully these thoughts will get everyone to check out the LP.

Buy your copy if you haven't already, the one album I would hope everyone buys this year. Or better yet, head to the DFA Webstore and cop the new album, the Nike mix, 45:33, and the s/t debut and give your money right to the source. Yeah!

So, how about you guys and girls? Was there one album that stood out head and shoulders above everything else? Any immediately classic albums? I'll flesh out my favorite albums later this week, then onto 2008.

3 comments:

C N Heidelberg said...

I agree with your assessment of "Someone Great" - beautiful, really fantastic. (I hear it as a song about death, though.) "All My Friends" hasn't really grabbed me yet, though.

My favorite album of the year was Caribou's Andorra.

Anonymous said...

Nothing to add, my favorite album of the year is also Sound of Silver. Powerful, timeless, original. All My Friends brought me to tears when I saw LCD at Torino Traffic Festival (right before Daft Punk, and all for free; best night of my life!). Us V Them is also a masterpiece in my mind, it's even bigger live.

Everything James Murphy touches turns gold (Fabriclive 36 is such a good mix), I was so sad that he didn't deejayed while I was in New-York at the end of December... : (

btw Jack, I'm a frequent reader living in Vancouver right now, if you want regular informations on what's going on there I'm quite a party spotter myself so let me know.

Anonymous said...

Hey,
I respect your work very much. Well worded talent goes far in the journalism career. Keep up the good work, so far I've clearly understood and followed up with your writings and I just want to throw some kudos at you, very good to hear people putting their mind to words the clear way :)
Anyways, until the next time I run across your page, c ya' ciao!