Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Happy Birthday Moz

http://trouble.philadelphiaweekly.com/archives/morrissey.jpg

Morrissey, Live at Dublin National Stadium Dublin, Ireland 04.27.91

That's right, it's May 22, a world holiday at Pound for Pound, the day that Stephen Morrissey was born. I've been imploring the UN to recognize this day and give everyone the day off from work, but so far no luck. If we don't honor the greatest singer of all-time from the greatest band of all-time, i'm not really sure what we're doing, but I assume that the terrorists are winning.

I want to thank Moz on this special day for all of the amazing music he's given us over the years. He's made my horrible break-ups manageable, he's validated my bleak worldview, he's provided a soundtrack for my life, writing some of the greatest songs I know. I don't think that one meager post can ever express the love and gratitude I have for the man (and yes, Johnny Marr, Andy Rourke and Mike Joyce).

As an expression of my love and gratitude to you my dear reader, above is a complete live show from Morrissey. It comes from the classic early period, a few years after the demise of The Smiths.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Going to see him on Saturday here in Austin, CANNOT WAIT!!!
(did the link go down already?)

Jack said...

No, the link never went up. I celebrated Moz's birthday so hard that I ended up falling asleep early before I could upload the show. Boo! But, I'll soon have it up for everyone to hear. Yea!

Let us know how the Austin show is, I cannot wait to catch the Philly and NYC shows.

Anonymous said...

Fuckin awesome performance. The crowd could have been a little more into it, but he seemed to be having a great time. (Dancing, microphone whips, making faces, all of the Mozzy stuff, you have come to love) Got some "not on the recent set list" tunes in there, Lucky Lisp, LOTFIP, The Boy With A Thorn In His Side, along with the stuff he's been playing recently, "I've Changed My Plea" being a personal highlight. He was even being a Chatty Cathy at some points, going off about Bush, talking to a friend in the audience, (Julia?) engaging the crowd, he seemed to be in a great mood. The band was sharp as hell, they seemed more comfortable with each other than last year when they came for SXSW, even though it's a little different lineup this time. Overall, definitley a show not to be missed, I mean it's freakin' Morrissey for cryin' out loud.
-Supa, ATX