Friday, July 28, 2006

CSS - Cansei De Ser Sexy



Cansei De Ser Sexy, "Patins"

Cansei De Ser Sexy, "Let's Make Love and Listen to Death From Above"

I've heard from someone that Cansei De Ser Sexy was already being hated on in some sort of immediate backlash. It got too hyped by blogs and promotion, something along those lines. I figured this would be a good time to join the fray by reviewing their self-titled debut CD, a few weeks too late per usual. First off, thanks to MC for the CD, as she copped it at their Warsaw show and I got an early listen. What really made me want to do the post was their great show at the Mummer's Museum last Friday. I didn't know much about them to be honest, other than they were a part of my most anticipated shows of the year and signed to Sub Pop, a label that puts out very little that I anticipate. They definitely got my attention with a long, loud, noisy set that reminded me of a no-wave band transported 20 years and dropped down in the heart of South Philly. Not surprisingly, that appeals to me and clearly appealed to the packed crowd.

The album is a mixed bag, never quite capturing the energy and recklessness of their live act. CSS seem a little too produced and contrived at times, especially lyrically with a sort of curse words as rebellion mentality. They're at their best when they just go crazy, when except that no wave, noisy vibe or when they allow their dance influences come through, sounding like expat Yeah Yeah Yeahs or Radio 4. You must hear the track above, "Let's Make Love and Listen To Death From Above," the best track on the album and one of the best songs I've heard in a minute.

-Miami Vice opens today in theaters, possibly the only movie that I've thought about seeing before its release. I'm definitely going after this review by A.O. Scott in the Times, which has even more excited to see this one (reference to Stan Brakhage?!?!?). The Philly Inquirer had a nice piece on the TV show and how its style and brilliance had such an impact. DVD boxed sets are so necessary, for sure.

-Your bol keeps on rolling with his writing. Peep my two pieces in this week's Philadelphia Weekly, the first one a preview of Ladies' Night at this week's Popoff Shack in the A-List section. The other is a look at Genghis Tron, Philly's newest residents and grindcore/electro madmen.

No comments: