Thursday, September 25, 2008

Kitsune Maison 5

Kitsune Maison 5

Pin Me Down, "Cryptic" (YSI link)

On Board, "Friendly Fires" (YSI link)

Before you even say it, yes, I know that this has been out for way more than a minute and that this sort of belated posting may get my mp3 blog card revoked. I am defying the system tonight, consequences be damned.

I mentioned that Ed Banger has been at the forefront of the Paris dance music rebirth over the past few years. That shortchanges another pivotal label that has made the rock kids dance and the dance kids rock, Kitsune. The fashion house has been slowly but surely releasing some of the best music of the past few years, introducing us to bands like Digitalism and Simian Mobile Disco. Their Kitsune Maison compilations are essential documents of the dance music scene, bringing together a mix of the best 12" releases and unreleased tracks.

The fifth edition is out, the Golden Edition; sadly this one doesn't reach the levels of the earlier editions, as it lacks the standout, killer tracks, little filler vibe of the first three editions. The album's highlights for me surprisingly come from the indie side of the ledger, which have a lean, dance-y feel that works perfectly. Pin Me Down's "Cryptic" reminds me of a female-fronted Bloc Party, which is a compliment for the record. It's got a great, simple refrain that The highlight for me is Friendly Fires "On Board" which I love love love. It's got the rare quality for this genre of not rushing things, slowing down even for an awesome, handclap breakdown. I had no idea who this band was, which is why compilations like this are so rad and so necessary. Other highlights come from the Fairy Lights mix of Late of the Pier, the Gentlemen Drivers Rave mix for The Teenagers' "Homecoming" and Autokratz's "Pardon Garcon."

Like I said, this one isn't on par with the best of the series. I love the mix of indie and dance music and their hybrids, this one just didn't have the same quality of songs. However, your mileage could easily vary, so grab a copy and support one of the best labels extant. If you don't already own the first four volumes, I'd recommend putting those on the top of the list.

No comments: