Sunday, November 25, 2007

Bob Dylan - Theme Time Radio Hour Thanksgiving

http://peacecorpsonline.org/messages/imagefolder/bobdylan.jpg
Bob Dylan, Theme Time Radio Hour #30 (Thanksgiving Leftovers)
(YSI link) (Sendspace link)

Bob Dylan, Theme Time Radio Hour #26 (Halloween) (YSI link) (Sendspace link)

Thanksgiving is over, so why not put up the Theme Time Radio Hour devoted to that great American tradition, the Thanksgiving leftovers? I am right on the breaking point with this whole return home thing, so it's probably more about me needing some Dylan in my life now more than ever. I recently re-read the New York Times Magazine profile of Todd Haynes, the director of the newly released Dylan biopic I'm Not There, and this part stood out for me:

After "Velvet Goldmine," Haynes went into a deep funk that lasted a long while...And this is where the Dylan story begins, when Haynes is down. "I've heard this from other people, that he crops up in life, in times of crisis, " Haynes told me. By he, Haynes means Dylan.

I know it's nothing profound, but it was amazing to have such validation of my own relationship with Dylan's music like this, out of the blue. It does come to me in the darkest times, when things seem off, the dark clouds won't go away. I've been listening to a lot of his music recently, it's been especially effective this weekend for what has been a horrible time, from realizing what much things change when you leave to finding a gift from an ex, it seems like both the present is unmanageable and the past is inescapable. I don't quite have a good explanation as to why Dylan's music seems so right at these times, but I'm gonna try to figure out here by thinking aloud. I don't even have a good reason for wanting to figure this out, to be honest.

Of course, none of this has to do with anything related to the two episodes of Theme Time Radio Hour available below. The first one is a collection of leftovers from the previous 29 TTRHs, songs that didn't make it in to those broadcasts. I chose the other one because it had a holiday theme and I screwed up and didn't put it up last month. We may do one more Theme Time Radio post this week, but look for some new stuff on the Dylan front in December. We will be making a more concerted effort to post up some of the goodies and try to connect it with the usual, dance-oriented fare here.

"I haven't know peace and quiet for so long, I can't remember what it's like." I hear ya Bob. I hear ya.

No comments: