Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Brian Eno + David Byrne - My Life In The Bush of Ghosts



Brian Eno and David Byrne, "The Jezebel Spirit"

Brian Eno and David Byrne, "The Carrier"

I am so excited to finally get to this one, the recently reissued and remastered Brian Eno and David Byrne collaboration from 1979-80, My Life In The Bush of Ghosts. I can't say that I had heard or knew much about this album, which is embarassing. I have come to Brian Eno's music over the last 5 years or so, and have been amazed at how much beautiful, experimental music the man has had a hand in. He's probably better known as a producer today, but his solo albums from the 70s are essential, his work with David Bowie gave us Bowie's best shit, and he was a founding member of Roxy Music. All of that in just one decade! Byrne, on the other hand, has never gotten my ear the way he probably should. Talking Heads are a recent obsession, and his Luaka Bop label has done everyone a favor and released lots of Brazilian music that would never have gotten out otherwise, but yet I still can't say I know a lot about the man or his music.

Anyway, this album is necessary listening for anyone into electronic based music, whether hip-hop, techno, disco, electro, DFA shit, you get the idea. It's a foundational album, one which laid the groundwork for what was possible with sound and sampling, unafraid to put different types of music together. Dig the preacher's voices that predates Moby by 20 years. But before you think this is the type of album that guys like me listen to, nerds who need to know everything and namecheck all of the sources, it's a lot more than that. It is an amazing listening experience, downright spooky at times with the sampled voices babbling and droning. It's got that bass and drum groove that the Talking Heads defined. It sounds amazing, a lot better than previous versions from what people are saying.

Go here and buy this one, as it is a really nice document with great liner notes and cover. I think that we will take a look at some Brian Eno down the road, or maybe even this week. Let me know how that sounds, as I'm still trying to figure out what the next focus is going to be at Pound for Pound.

Two of the best music blogs going, Kwaya Na Nisser and silence is a rhythm too, have additional tracks and thoughts on this album. Their opinions are about as good as it gets, so trust them.

-Speaking of life in the Bush, yesterday marked the 3-year anniversary of Bush's Mission Accomplished speech. Via dailykos, I see that Think Progress has 'Mission Accomplished' by the numbers.

-Labor historian Nelson Lichtenstein has a great essay in Slate on the history of May Day and the connection yesterday's immigration protestors share with previous generations.

-This post was dedicated to Jezebel, my little princess, and presumably, the inspiration for the song above.

No comments: