Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Lessons Learned from Life On The Road/Mogwai

http://musicmedia.ign.com/music/image/mogwai%201_012104_000.jpg

Mogwai, "Glasgow Mega-Snake"

Mogwai, "Friend of the Night"


With anything in life, you need to learn some lessons. With any hard times, you must learn a few things about yourself in the process. Here is what I learned from my ridiculous indie rock tour over the past week.

The best music I heard was from Love Is All. Runner-up was Jenny Lewis and the Watson Twins. They were followed by Animal Collective, and parts of The Go! Team and Arctic Monkeys.

I'm not that big a fan of concerts, as it turns out. Don't really like crowds or people.

I have the body of a 70 year old man living in Boca Raton. My back would stiffen up and hurt, like, an hour into the show. Embarrassing shit, especially around a bunch of 17 year olds. I actually found myself thinking how much I wished there were more seated shows. The only thing left is complaining about how drafty it is inside, and turning up the heat to 150 degrees.

Diversity was judged by degrees of pallidness, from pale white to really pale white to vampire.

The quality of a show goes up exponentially if a big-boobed girl constantly gets up during a show and walks to the bathroom/drink station.

-Above are a few tracks from the recent Mogwai album, Mr. Beast. Why Mogwai now, you ask? Well, they have been scheduled for a show by R5 here in Philly, Thursday May 11, and it seems like those guys and girls are as excited about this show as any they've ever done. As it says on the website, "Fucking Yesssssssssssss! Shit Yeah! I kid you not we have been trying to book MOGWAI since 1998. This has been a long time coming. This show will be one of the memorable R5 events ever, you know they are absolutely going to destroy The Ballroom and put everyone on their ass." You can't front on that kind of talk coming from people who have put on thousands of shows.

Other notable shows coming up in my eyes are Editors and Stellastarr at the Troc (this Saturday), the Yeah Yeah Yeahs at the Troc (next Wednesday), Art Brut at the Church (next Friday), Gogol Bordello at the Troc (April 14th), Jack Rose and Fursaxa in the Church's sanctuary (April 17th), Acid Mothers Temple at Vox Populi(April 21st), Jamie Lidell and the Lilys at the Church back to back nights, April 27th and 28th respectively. Check out R5 Productions, the Troc's site and Electric Factory for more options. Oh, and of course, the BM Rant's Philly Shows List.

-Speaking of the good folks at The BM Rant, they have a review of the Arctic Monkeys show from Sunday night. It seems to jibe with my thoughts, but damn them for having great pictures. Grrr, must get digital camera to compete in the Blog Arms race. Best line in the review: "When you only have 45 minutes of material to even play, where’s the encore coming from? Some Oasis covers?"

-Oh, the album, by the way, is damn good. I can't say I have listened to much Mogwai in the day, so I can't tell you how it stacks up to their past releases. All I can say is that it is a beautiful album, quite literally, with lush tracks that slowly take shape. It's instrumental rock for the most part, reminds me a lot of Tortoise or Sigur Ros. Buy the album here, as it seems fans think it's a great intro to the band.

No comments: