Sunday, March 26, 2006

Love Is All




Love Is All, "Talk Talk Talk Talk"


Love Is All, "Make Out Fall Out Make Up"


As I mentioned in the last post, I went for a Go! Team show, but stayed for Love Is All. Or something like that. Basically, I had heard good things about them, read the glowing review in Pitchfork by the infamous Nick Sylvester and liked the tracks I had heard. I specifically requested that TA and I get to the Starlight Ballroom early, so as to guarantee that we caught them. But, none of that prepared me for seeing them Thursday night.

They came out after caUSE co-MOTION, looking very neat and proper. They proceeded to rip through a set of rock music that I have been waiting to hear for years. It wasn't revolutionary or experimental, no new ground is necessarily broken here. But, who gives a shit if it's this good? I know that making comparisons to other bands is wack and lazy, but deal with it. While watching them, a few bands came to mind, from Sonic Youth (with the male/female lead vocals) to the dance-punk bands that everyone knows about (more punk than dance) to Siouxsie and the Banshees.

As many of you, I don't listen to a lot of indie on the regular (despite what this past week says) and tend to be easier on criticism but less apt to really love something. Take it for what it's worth, but it's been the first time in a long time that a current band has given me that chill you get when a band or song or album sounds so right.

If you don't believe me, Dodge at the legendary My Old Kentucky Blog has given their album, Nine Times That Same Song, another glowing review. I cannot agree more, as it has supplanted snap rap and Morrissey (foreshadowing), a feat in its own right. A quick search reveals that all of the heavyweights of the blog world have shown love: fluxblog, Moistworks, 20 Jazz Funk Greats, Badminton Stamps, gorilla vs. bear, Said the Gramophone and Yeti Don't Dance. Oh, and there are others on the case, up and comers like yours truly, such as Silence Is A Rhythm Too (awesome name), Absolut Noise, The View From Yoorp, Like Flies on Sherbert and Motel de Moka.

Is that good enough for you? Is it? Your next step is to go buy Nine Times That Same Song, which is ridiculousy cheap. Also, make sure to keep up with them on Myspace in the down time between stalking exes. Let's do it, people.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I recently read a true love story called White Summer Dress www.whitesummerdress.com about a woman who battles cancer and her husband never loses his love for her even as the sickness transforms her body into what most would not be able to love. It’s well written and an incredible journey that will touch your heart. - Robert

Mycardo said...

Thanks for the link - your blog is great!